1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confusion, need to make quick decision, don't want to come out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by aj12, Sep 4, 2015.

1. aj12

I've "known" I'm a lesbian since as long as I can remember - probably earliest "crush" was around age ~7. I have been in denial for a long time and I've somewhat accepted that this is how I feel around a year ago. I'm from an extremely conservative family & town, but I go to college in a big city. I absolutely cannot come out as I am 100% sure my family (& hometown friends) will disconnect me, and I will not only be personally devastated but also financially cut off...just some background info.

Anyway, I've been wanting to try recreational basketball this year at college. But when I went to tryouts last week, there was this girl who really struck my eye..like I physically got goosebumps when I saw her. I was really shocked at how attracted I was. I literally stared at her the entire time much to my dismay. I really hope that my friend who was trying out with me didn't notice me ogling her. I got to chat with her a little bit and she literally blew my mind. Just so beautiful, smart, funny....perfect.

Anyway I just got news that she and I are going to be on the same team, but now I'm wary of joining because I'm probably going to unintentionally out myself because I am too obvious. I would obviously never intentionally come on to her or tell anyone about this, but I think it's too obvious with my shyness around her, staring at her all the time, etc. It's really risky because there are a couple people on the team whom I know who could potentially notice.

I keep thinking that I should just make a boyfriend so that people won't question me, but I know that would be a really selfish thing to do. I've had a boyfriend before (when I was completely in denial), and it was just awkward and terrible because he was really just a "friend" to me. But I keep having this feeling that if I just meet the "right" guy then I will be able to become straight.

I guess this is really paranoid and cowardly of me, but I am genuinely frightened I might fuck up my life by outing myself. What would you do if you were me?? I'm just so confused and obviously there is no one I can talk to about this. Should I just not join?? I genuinely have not been this attracted to someone before and it's very scary to me especially considering my circumstances. :confused: :help: :help:

2. Phioo

Phioo Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    You should join but not just for her.
    You know, because she's probably straight.
    It's unfair but that's how it works for us.