1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bad response to coming out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by 3n, Sep 4, 2015.

1. 3n

3n Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    so i came out to my friend today. He was just so honest about himself to me and i've known him for 2 years. He didn't seem homophobic. I came out to him and just said "wtf bro" and hasn't talked to me since. Help?

2. xxCHAOTIC

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Sounds like someone isn't the friend you thought he was.

It's hard to remember at your age, but if he doesn't pull his head out of his ass soon (some people need time!) Then you know what? You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.

3. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, I know the feeling of getting that negative response. Yet, if you say you guys are friends for so much time, it is possible that he is processing all of this. Maybe he feels awkward. I suppose you guys used to talk about girls and now probably he feels betrayed. Give it some time and see where things go. I hope he will accept and support you eventually.

4. AnthonyC

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One thing to remember is that if he is your friend then he will come round. If he doesn't (one thing you will need to prepare yourself for) then not only is he not a real friend, he is also someone that you don't need in your life. A good/best friend is someone who knows who you are and is there for you no matter what.

5. Phioo

Phioo Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    This.
    Give him some time.

6. azuky

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It could be that he is processing what you told him, if he is really your friend he'll come around eventually. Try to give him some time and try to ask him what about you being gay makes him uncomfortable and explain to him that nothing between you have really change.

7. IrishBuddha6

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This is a tough age and this could be a lot of things. Secretly, he may not care or may even be in denial about himself and have internalized homophobia. There are so many possibilities. What it comes down to is that you are at an awkward age where guys feel like their manlihood is constantly being tested and they must prove themselves. He may be afraid of being labelled by association so that may be why he reacted that way. Also you are probably the first to come out to him so he may have been taken by surprise and have no idea how to respond right now.

Regardless, give it a little time and he may come through, if not, try to move on and find new friends. I know it's hard but you can't live life dwelling on these things....some things just weren't meant to last. Good luck and stay strong! Fight the good fight!