1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to friends and school but not family?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by grungeteen, Sep 5, 2015.

1. grungeteen

I'm about to come out at school and be openly bi but the thing is, I haven't told any of my family yet including my parents and younger sister. It's not that they won't be accepting (they are very pro lgbt), it's just im not ready to say it to them, it feels cringy and embarrassing. I don't think there is much chance that they will find out from school, other than my sister but I'm planning to send her a text at somepoint, she probably won't care so. I have actually mentioned it to my dad but it was awkward and I don't think he heard me very well and he has really bad memory so I think he has already forgotten.

2. Nick1020

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know someone who is completely out on social media and at school and is not out to their parents. Of course the chance exists but it has been done. I think it is only fair to your parents to tell them rather than have them find out second hand.

3. MadameMiau

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm struggling coming out too, I mean. I'm completely open to my closest friends (who both actually encouraged me to join EC), and my mother was always asking if I liked girls more than guys - I guess I have that vibe about me because people would ask if I was gay (as they got to know me, anyway). I always became really defensive and felt 'accused' despite wanting to just say "yes I'm lesbian" or avoided the topic all together. I feel like... once you get used to hearing yourself say it to others, the easier it'll be to admit it to loved ones like family. I know I'll be able to tell my dad when I'm ready and he'll still love and treat me the same.

4. xxCHAOTIC

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm out to my dad. Clumsily. But I still did it. It'll be a cold day in hell before I am to my mother so long as they're still married. Or I might just to nail the coffin that is our "relationship" shut. It currently only exists because to have one with my dad I have to tolerate her. My little brother is pretty... Not likely either. He's pretty severely autistic and anything that strays from "the norm" makes him uncomfortable. He doesn't, and isn't really all that capable, of understanding it.

Meanwhile I'm one of the friends that talked up EC to Madame Miau! I'm out to her and kittyvelour, my two best friends. As well as my ex boyfriend and anyone who asks. Just. No one in my family but my dad.

It's possible. I don't recommend it because it just made the relationship with my family feel that much more... Acidic. But I didn't have a good relationship with most of them to begin with.

5. TempUsername3

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I came out to my friends, school and social media before I told my family. It was all after I graduated highschool. My parents didnt find out. I suggest starting with friends and maybe leaving it to an "ask me and I'll tell you" kinda thing if you're not entirely ready to come out. If your school is as small as mine was, news will travel fast and you may become center of attention for a good couple of days.

6. Phioo

Phioo Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Better tell them now before they find out by themselves.

7. TempUsername3

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Errrr... Don't rush it. Come out when you're ready.

8. bookandquill

Out Status:
    A few people
    Happened to me. Awkward, but it got the job done.