1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to oneself

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by silentmajority, Sep 5, 2015.

1. silentmajority

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I just recently even admitted to myself I was lesbian. I have been in therapy for nearly a year for other issues and recently we started discussing my sexuality. I had never even said I was bisexual at that point, but when I did I held onto it so tightly because I didn't want to let myself know I was a lesbian. I just came out to my husband who was supportive, but has anyone else had a difficult time coming out to themselves? If so, I would like to get your perspective.

2. AnthonyC

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm 28 and I don't think I've fully accepted myself. For me, I always felt like the odd one out and then for me to be gay, I just felt like that was something else that made me different. I personally think coming out to yourself is the hardest part of it and once you have found that acceptance of yourself then things will get easier.

I went to a councillor for a while and she kind of made me realise that sexuality is just one part of many that makes me up as a complete person, and that although I always thought about my sexuality, to others they tend to see a bigger picture and notice the other parts that make you up.

3. azuky

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm 25 and I also recently accepted to myself that I am a lesbian. It's hard to come to terms with who you really are, but once you accept yourself and understand that you are still you everything becomes a little easier. I think that the best lesson I got from accepting myself and embracing my sexuality is that being a lesbian is only a small part of who I am and what makes me-me.

4. rachael1954

Welcome to EC! I had a lot of difficulty at first, a lot of it guilt because I'm married and felt like I should have figured it out long ago.

The struggle is part of your growth process. It sucks a lot of the time, but then you get a moment of clarity and "a-ha" about some part of your life, and it all starts to become worth it, a little bit a time. Be patient with yourself.

(&&&)

5. silentmajority

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Being married and a lesbian is difficult. I have emotional ties, but I don't know what all of this means. I guess it's one day at a time now.