1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I need some advice with coming out

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jake1196, Sep 6, 2015.

1. Jake1196

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi! My name is Jake and I'm a gay 18 year old college student! So I attempted to come out last year to my parents but it back fired badly. As they see it as an abomination and that it's wrong. Anyways I think my mom is slowly coming around to it...maybe..idk. Anyways two weeks ago I started at college! I went in with the mind set that I would be out and open in college but nerves got the best of me! I even said I had a crush on a girl just to shut someone up about who I liked. I so regret that now!!! There is a LGBT club on campus, so many cute guys and the schools policy is "Diverity first". So I know if I do come out I will have someone to turn to! But I'm so afraid to come out to my little group because I said I liked this one girl. Any advice? And any advice with swaying my parents? I have tried so much to change this... But I can't and I now embrace it and am happy! Also to add to it I'm a very obvious gay person. I fit a lot of the stereotypes and in high school everyone assumed I was gay so it's very shocking that in college they haven't assumed or haven't voiced it! Any help is appreciated :slight_smile:

Jake

2. Acuba403

I know how you feel it's the exact same with me being trans (college and all). I would find someone that you trust completely to the point that they won't out you to any one else(Girl friend for me), because having that support was a big help. It could be a sibling, cousin, friend who ever. Then test the waters with your friends, find out how they will react. then based on that decide if you want to tell them or not. Your parents on the other hand that's a completely different story, I still haven't figured mine out. Mostly because I'm still recovering from when I tried to come out. Hope I helped. If you have any questions ask and I'll help if I can.

3. bookandquill

Out Status:
    A few people
    Just try to come out as soon as possible. Because before you know it you'll have to lie even more. If your friends are anything like mine, they'll appreciate your honesty.