1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dealing with non-supportive relatives?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by bookandquill, Sep 6, 2015.

1. bookandquill

Out Status:
    A few people
    How should I deal with my relatives who I know don't support LGBT people? I'm not financially dependent on them, but they are a big part of my family. As of now I've dodged their questions relating to my dating life, but I can't keep this up forever. What do you recommend?

2. CameronMR

My family is not accepting, they ask questions, I answer what I can. They make their disapproval known, but I just ignore their disapproval and keep being their kid/grand kid/neice/cousin whatever. I still visit, I still hug, love, call, write, or whatever, just like always. I demonstrate how it doesnt not change who a person is because you are not your sexual orientation, its the other way around. own it, just be you. of course, everyone is different, This may or may not work for your family, but it works for mine.

3. bookandquill

Out Status:
    A few people
    Did they disown you or disassociate from you? (Sorry for asking such personal questions.)

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Reading through your post, I wonder, is your immediate family accepting? Are you out to them?