1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by azuky, Sep 7, 2015.

1. azuky

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    wanted to ask for advise on how to tell my parents that I'm a lesbian.

My mom is more opened minded than my dad, but she is still a little old fashion and I am afraid of how they will react.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated

2. brainwashed

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm have very little experience in this department, but I can tell what a few friends have done. One friend wrote a letter. Another scheduled a sit down meeting and told them. A third friends showed their parents a movie.

Good luck.

3. MrSkittles

Maybe you try hinting at it by bringing up some LGBT+ news/topics and then tell them. But whatever you choose to do, Good Luck (*hugs*)

4. Blue787Bunny

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Allow me to repost an advice I gave on a similar thread...

Well if you have apprehensions of actually speaking to them in person how about writing a letter to break it to them? Just leave it somewhere in their house where your parents are bound to find it, can be their bedroom. Write at the end of the letter "call if your are ready to talk." I find that letters offer us reprieve from the actual stress and anxieties we get when we try to approach to actually talk. The problem lies that with each step we take we rub through our minds the worst case scenarios ultimately leading us to back out. With the letter you're already out of that awkward situation, once it's there the options of getting tongue tied are non existent. Try it out write a letter, you do not necessarily have to give it to them right away. Keep it until such a time you feel you are ready.

If you are also unsure of just diving in 100%. How about coming out in increments? Start out by talking about LGBT issues, ones that particularly apply to you and that you would face in the future ahead. Gauge their response, if it's in the negative hold out a little and just continue conditioning them about LGBT issues. If in the event they respond in a positive manner. Talk about a LGBT friend, who came out to his or her parents (can be imaginary). Talk about the response of the parents and how the situation was at first shocking but ultimately how they realized that he or she was still the same child they knew before, it didn't mean that everything about their lives had to change. Talk about the positive outcomes for the family such as a more open communication, no longer fear based. Gauge their response, if it's in the negative hold out a little and just continue conditioning them about the positive outcomes for the family, how happy they were that their child could now live as he or she truly is. If in the event they respond in a positive manner. Talk about what they would do if a relative a sister, brother, a child... were to come out LGBT. Gauge their response, if it's in the negative hold out a little and just continue conditioning them to the idea that having an LGBT in the family doesn't make it any less of a family. Just remind them of the positive outcomes your (imaginary) friend's family had come to realize. Eventually if they warm up to the idea then it may be time for you to come out... either in person or in letter.

I ultimately wish you success in this endeavor. :slight_smile:

5. azuky

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you all, for these great advice and support. I think I'm gonna try write them a letter