1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any advice here?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by AnanasKatze, Sep 9, 2015.

1. AnanasKatze

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I'm 17 and just started my first year of college, and I only figured myself out 2 years ago. I told myself that I would come out, at least somewhat, when I start college. However that's proving to be pretty difficult. Among my friends, I have 2 that are gay. One saw right through me last year, but the other one I'm having a hard time telling. It's not like I don't like him or don't trust him or anything. Its just that, whenever I'm about to do it, I get nervous or something. I don't really even know what it is I'm afraid of. I feel like it should be easy considering he's gay too, but I just can't seem to do it whenever I try. The one who knows as tried to help me, but even with said help, I still get too nervous to actually do it. Any advice? Thoughts?

2. TempUsername3

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Write a letter or make a video and just give it to him, sometimes its just hard to say it face to face. You could sit there while he reads or watches it.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sometimes one of the easiest solutions is to send a text. If you want to be obtuse about it, you could send him one that's somewhat cryptic... for example, "Hey, thought I'd let you know I'm a friend of Dorothy... Look it up." That can loosen the tension. Or you could just be straightforward.

Another is to drop really obvious hints: "Hey, did you notice how hot that guy is?" A couple of those and he'll likely get the message.

I know how difficult this can be. I can assure you that it gets easier with every person you tell... and if the one person figured it out, likely others will as well. Most of us poofs aren't nearly as good at hiding ourselves as we think we are. :slight_smile:

4. AnanasKatze

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks, but a letter isn't really my kind of thing. I also feel like watching the video with him would be weird. I dunno that just doesn't seem to fit me personally :/

I think I'll try texting. Not sure if I'll use a direct approach or not, but that seems like a good idea.

The hint dropping is what my friend tried for me. He brought up the subject of cute guys and what not to cue me but I just froze up and still couldn't do it :/

And yeah I have a slight feeling that he already knows or suspects I'm gay, but he hasn't asked or anything. I honestly wouldn't care if he knew. Telling him is just hard for some reason. Thanks a lot :slight_smile: