1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I came out to my sisters and now I feel weird..

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by LillyJet, Sep 9, 2015.

1. LillyJet

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Okay, so a couple of days ago I told my two sisters (14 and 13) that I'm a lesbian. The reason I chose to was because my sister actually said that she thinks she might be gay, so I told them that I was. I hadn't planned it, and kind of regretted it afterwards, even though they were very supportive and didn't even act like it was a big deal.
    The thing is, I thought that coming out to someone would feel like a weight off my shoulders, but instead I just feel awkward - I don't know how to explain it exactly, but I feel like I would've preferred not telling them and wish I could go back and change what happened.
    My question is, has anyone else felt like this after coming out, and does the feeling go away? Also, why am I feeling like this when they were nothing but supportive of me?

2. Connorcode

Connorcode Guest

You feel like that because you see what you've revealed about yourself as important to you. Maybe you're thinking that they might change how they act around you - they might be more open now and you can be more open around them. Your sister who thought she might be queer now knows she has someone to talk to.
    There's potential for the status quo to change, in a good way, and that can be frightening and make things awkward while what you've said settles, both within you and your sisters.

I know how you feel, and, for me, everything settled and was better.

Well done and best wishes! Hope it's all okay!

#2 Connorcode, Sep 9, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2015
  3. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap
    For me the first few times I told people, it did feel weird.
    Eventually I got to a stage where I felt that I didn't have to hide the real me from the people close to me.
    I think for me coming out is just as much a process that I went through rather than something for the benefit others.
    (*hug*)

4. Acuba403

I know exactly how you feel, It's the same thing with me (minus the support) with my mother. If i could i would take it back in a heart beat

5. AnonymousHipstr

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    This is exactly how I felt, except it was with my mom! I felt so awkward, and even though it was about eight months ago, I still feel pretty awkward about it. I think the reason I do is because I haven't told anyone else that I'm gay yet, so I almost feel guilty for just confiding in her, because she has no one to go to about it that she knows personally, since she swore she'd keep it between us until I was ready to tell others.

6. Sunrays

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes I've felt weird after I've told some people and it's been unplanned, not because it's gone badly but because it was unexpected on my part and theirs. I guess when you think about a potential situation for so long then it actually happens it is natural to keep over-analysing it. I find talking to them or other people about it helps.

7. Lauren12

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I completely understand that feeling, i've felt weird after i've told anybody and quite awkward after too. But i've discovered that the longer someone knows the less awkward you feel about it and it becomes more normalized with them - especially if you haven't told many people, i suppose it feels less weird the more and more people know.

Best Wishes