1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Wanting to come out today but need that final push...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by thete, Sep 10, 2015.

1. thete

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey everyone! I really think that I need to come out to my dad today and I've planned to call him once he gets out of work, but I'm afraid that I'm going to chicken out of this at the last minute. I've made plans like this before that have fallen through but I really want to make sure that this happens.

Any advice on how to direct the conversation? Would it be strange to just get straight (haha) to the point when he answers and be done with it?

2. Acuba403

YOU CAN DO IT!!!!!! good luck, I'm sure it's gonna go great. I think it's better to do it in person though. (Idk what else to say)

3. 50ishandout

You'll be fine. Deep breath. Go for it.

4. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Its kind of normal to chicken out at the last second so don't beat yourself over it. Ever tried other methods to come out to him? Such as in person or write a letter? I came out via phone call once and I found it harder. (Not saying this to scare you BTW) we're all different. :slight_smile: good luck

5. thete

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you all for the replies, it means a lot to me. Just a few hours more now and I feel kind of sick. :help:

I would try and talk to him in person, but we aren't that close and I know that it would be a lot more difficult for both of us. I was thinking about writing him a letter but I don't know if I could stand waiting for a reply from him. I guess I won't really know for sure until I actually do it.

6. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You'll do great, I have confidence in you. Just think, after today, you'll be free from all of this. No more hiding.

Hopefully all goes well and you should let us know how he reacts. :thumbsup:

7. Ginger Hobbit

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey there! I'm in the same situation as you! I'm planning to call my mom today. I can't stand the wait for a letter either, and I can't do it in person because of the distance. I've chickened out several times already, so I'm trying to gather the courage to actually do it this time.

I'm having the same issues with how to direct the conversation as well. I'm thinking I'll have to just go for it after the little bit of small talk and making sure she's not busy or distracted with other matters. Sort of a "I was calling to talk about something that's been on my mind for a while" type of intro and then just go for it?

Good luck to you!

8. thete

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello! I'm glad to hear that this thread might have helped you, too. Just wanted to check back in to let everyone know how today went.

I decided to text my dad first to make sure that he wasn't busy and was able to chat, which was a good idea so it gave him time to be alone and focus on the conversation. I honestly just went for it because I know that if I started with small talk I would never get to what I needed to talk about, so when he answered the phone I told him that there was something that I had been meaning to talk to him about for a while and that it was important for him to listen. He was so unbelievably supportive about it. He actually laughed and said that he was so happy that I had decided to tell him, even though it was a complete surprise. We haven't been close since my parent's divorce so it was nice to be able to talk about this and reconnect. I'm pretty sure that he said he was happy about a dozen times, haha. Not what I was expecting but it has honestly made me feel 100x better about myself.

Good luck with talking to your mom! I would really recommend just going for it. I'm so happy that I finally did. I'm hoping to come out to my mom later on this week. (&&&)

9. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

That is fantastic! Congratulations and I'm glad it went so well with your dad! That takes so much bravery and nerve and you should be proud of yourself!:slight_smile:

10. greatwhale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wonderful news, congratulations!!

11. 50ishandout

Awesome. Congrats.

12. doinitagain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well done thete (!)

13. xfinitycomcast

What a great story, glad it all turned out well for you thete!