1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I came out again to my family

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by XxSunXDragonxX, Sep 11, 2015.

1. XxSunXDragonxX

Here's what I posted on Facebook:

Hey, it's (my name) again. I uh, kinda jumped the gun on the last post I made. I was still questioning myself at the time I posted it. I've recently deleted that post since it's no longer true. I'm still questioning now, but what I'm feeling now makes a lot more sense compared to what I thought I felt before.

Anyway, I am not bigender. I thought I was because I didn't follow gender roles/stereotypes. I don't identify partially as a man; I identify as just ME. Just because I'm not the stereotypical depiction of a girl, doesn't mean I'm bigender/genderfluid/agender. I don't really feel the way people who identify as such feel. There's no label for me. I'm just gonna do what I want without worrying about gender labels. Props to those who wear them well! :grin:

On to my sexual orientation. Right now I identify as a biromantic lesbian. I don't know if you guys have ever heard of the word "biromantic," so I'll explain.

There's a difference between romantic attraction and sexual attraction from what I've learned. A lot of times, romantic attraction later leads to sexual attraction, but that's not always true.

A biromantic lesbian is someone who can romantically/aesthetically/sensually be attracted to both males and females, but only has sexual attraction towards women. So, I could be in a romantic relationship with a guy, but I wouldn't want to have sex with him.

Like I said, I'm still questioning. I'm still in a spot where I really don't know whether I'm bisexual or a lesbian. I don't know if I have actual sexual attraction towards guys, but that might change later. Who knows, but right now at this point, I'm not feeling it.

I'm sorry for this super long post. It's been a couple months and a lot of things have happened. I'm happier now that what I'm typing at this moment is closer to the truth. I didn't want you guys to continue to believe I was a bigender bisexual. If you actually read the whole thing then I thank you so, so much. It's taken me quite a bit of time to type this up.

I might make a Facebook account later but I'm not sure. I don't really wanna fill my mom's Facebook with my posts, so if I decide to post more later on, then I'll just make my own. Again, thank you for reading this.

I made sure to include I was still questioning, so hopefully I won't regret this. My family is pretty accepting anyway...at least most of them. :confused:

#1 XxSunXDragonxX, Sep 11, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  2. XxSunXDragonxX

Too long; didn't read? :frowning2: I'd really like some feedback.

3. High Art

I think your post is very clear, and your orientation is allowed to shift/change as you figure stuff out :slight_smile:
    Has anyone responded to you on Fb?

4. XxSunXDragonxX

My brother and my sister did, and my cousin (who is gay) liked my post. No one else did anything or mention it though. It's like I don't exist to them. :frowning2:

I wish most of my family wasn't so phony...

#4 XxSunXDragonxX, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  5. CameronMR

I don't know your family, but it may be that it's not important to them who you love, but who you are. Does that make sense? Not everyone is gonna care about what your orientation is. I feel as though we shouldn't have to come out, that it should simply be expected that each and everyone of us will just be who we are. Alas, society as a whole isn't very accepting of us "wierdos" that it just puts stress on us.
    unfortuneately, due to you age, people may think its a phase. I got that a lot when I was a teenager. Most adults just call it angst and leave it at that. They will eventually realize it is not a phase, and accept it. By then too much time will have passed and you can't argue suddenly with something that has been a certain way for a few years! :wink:

hope that makes sense to you. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I have been in my books studying so my mind is a little jumbled...lol

6. XxSunXDragonxX

Thank you so much for responding. They probably DO think it's just a phase, so they don't give it any thought. That's the way most of my family is unfortunately. :dry: They'll eventually accept that that's the way things are and maybe give me a "like" after a few years. :lol:

7. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Good for you for having the courage to do that! Even though it is totally okay to change/shift your sexuality or gender, our society often has a problem with it and it puts a lot of pressure on people like us not to contradict ourselves, and to always be sure. So kudos to you for having the bravery to show your true self to people even though they might not be as accepting as you'd like them to be. You did you're part, telling them. Now it's up to them to decide how they'll react to it. As for you, you can just go on being yourself now:slight_smile: Congrats!

8. Lone Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think what you wrote is so good!

I think it is good that you described your orientation concisely. I think the biggest issue is most people assume you are either straight or gay, nothing else. My mom never even knew there could be anything else. I didn't even know myself growing up that there could be other orientations. So some may think you're just making things up or that you are in a phase.

I think what you wrote is way more important for you than for others. You are being real to yourself and you having the confidence to write this is quite admirable. Don't worry too much on the reaction of others, it's way more important that you are being truly yourself! :slight_smile:

If your parents are pretty accepting, I'm sure they will come around. Just takes time.

9. XxSunXDragonxX

I live with my single mother, and she is very accepting, even though she shows her support in weird ways sometimes. :lol: Thank you for the reassurance.

#9 XxSunXDragonxX, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015