1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feeling lost (x posted with the lgbt later in life board)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by baristajedi, Sep 12, 2015.

1. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there,

I'm new here and looking for a place where I can feel support. You all seem encouraging and kind from my tiny bit of lurking...

I'm not really sure how to start but I'm all kinds of confused right now.

I'm so old to be starting this journey. I don't even know how I could have ended up being a closet case, I have a supportive family, I was raised with a normalised view of homosexuality, I've been a strong LGBT ally, and have always had a large circle of gay friends, I don't really know how I could have squashed my own identity so far down.

I've always been attracted to women but because I was also always attracted to men, I just assumed I was straight. I had no real understanding of bisexuality until I was in my early 20s. I started sort of coming out at that time but then went back in the closet.

So here I am now, married to a man, with a child. I've now only had marginal experience with women.

And I'm starting to really deeply regret not having explored or embraced this side of my sexuality and identity before.

In some ways I want so strongly to be with a woman, but being married and a mom of course makes that kind of a selfish desire.

I'm starting to really want to acknowledge this side of me. I feel I owe it to myself to come out, at the very least to friends and family, to seek out friendship with others in the bi community, to incorporate this side of my sexuality into my marriage.

I feel like such a coward and a fool not having fully been me for so long.

So that's where I am right now. Can anyone relate to my story? Does anyone have any encouragement or advice for me?