1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My story...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BigGayAlex, Sep 13, 2015.

1. BigGayAlex

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    ...Begins

(My apologies if the story seems to drag :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: )
    We all battle a struggle in some way; psychologically, physically, emotionally, etc. Some of these struggles start at a very young age. As for me, my inner struggle began at a very young age, probably around age 4/5. I always was attracted to men. Like many of us, I was raised in a strict hetero atmosphere with little to no knowledge of the LGBTQIA community. I was fortunate to have very loving and accepting parents and sadly I did lose my father over 5 years ago, so I will never be able to directly tell him about who I am.

Over the past 18 years I knew for sure that I was attracted to men, even my first masturbation was about a boy in school I had a crush on. I tried to hide and suppress it with thoughts of women but did not really get off on them (for lack of better terms :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ). Does not mean I found obviously hot women hot, I just kept trying to block out the true natural urge. I had one true female relationship, but it went nowhere. I was a bigger kid (well, not FAT, but thick) and had self image issues. I began to have severe depression and even a few bouts with anorexia (I guess it is rare for a man to have it). At age 16 I began experimenting with high THC content mary jane to hide the urge even further. This daily process lasted an accumulated 7 years with little alcohol use. While intoxicated, the urge would show itself and I would mast. about men. I got clean and pushed the urge to back again as I was focused on quitting my addiction. The urge would still present itself daily and the struggle to accept it began to really set in. After I found out my father was going to pass, I relapsed for an accumulated 2 years after being clean for about 2 years. I began to get severe muscle spasms during the relapse (while intoxicated) and decided that I must quit forever. I have been clean for about 42 months now.

In early 2014, I finally began to realize that I must address my true hidden self. I would cry myself to sleep some nights when I was younger because I could not accept myself or understand why. I thought that since I (thought) liked men and women I was bisexual. I cut off my LONG hair (and donated it of course) but kept my beard. I outed myself to my mother, brother, sister, my best friend and a few friends at my old job. I tried so hard to find women, but its like they are different species to me (no offense ladies! :slight_smile: ). Over the past few months I very slowly began to accept that I am truly gay and outed myself to a married (straight) couple that I have known for years a few nights ago. It felt so wonderful to finally say "I am gay!" to close friends and they were very accepting and very happy that I had the courage to finally accept my true self.

If you have made it this far, thank you very much for reading! Now that I am who I always was, a new chapter can finally be written that needed to be written YEARS ago.

edit: I want to cry right now after reading all this. I can finally be happy! Why did it take so long? There is nothing to be ashamed of! It is who I am! I AM A GAY MAN!

#1 BigGayAlex, Sep 13, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2015
  2. mvp 447

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Good for you, dude. Don't hide who you are, and don't allow people to hurt you for it. If they try, tell them to eff off and leave. Period.

3. 50ishandout

Alex,

Don't hide. I hide for years. The only thing it got me was misery. Be true to yourself. It's a different world today. Be you, this is the only take. The isn't a second take.

4. Mero

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sing it brother!
    In order for a person to love others, they have to first love themselves!

5. aussielefty

its tough to come out to friends and family I'm struggling to excepting myself as gay and wondering how any one else will but some times they surprise you!
    Sorry about your father, I too just lost mine and is a struggle...

Hope things work out for you mate !

6. 3n

3n Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Dude,
    I COMMAND THE HIGHEST OF FIVES :grin:
    (and congrats on coming clean :slight_smile:)

7. TheOddBall

That's great. I wish I had the courage to come out completely but I'm still learning to fully accept myself. But congrats. :slight_smile:

8. doinitagain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well done Alex (!)

9. 50ishandout

Alex, CONGRATS. Nothing like being Out of the Closet. Take some time and enjoy your new found life.

I've been Out since March, just Outed myself on Facebook last week and it's been a tremendously incredible experience.

#itgetsbetter is so true.

10. BigGayAlex

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you for the support everyone! I plan to out myself to more friends and my (immediate) family very soon. I really dislike facebok, but I do get on a few times a year for about a week at a time. If I do release info about myself, I will write a heartfelt message for all to see. Of course that would happen AFTER I tell all my close friends and family.(&&&)

11. Lone Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Proud of you man! Congratulations! Quite an inspiring story I may add. Wishing you nothing, but the best. :slight_smile:

12. IrishJ

You are an inspiration not only to me but for many young men to come. There is no set path or itinerary, just a sunrise followed by a sunset. Be proud for how far you have come, be true to yourself, be well - J

13. TheSeeker

Good luck buddy! You're awesome. Let us know if you need any help or support!

14. Aviator182

Congrats! It's great to hear about people who came out a little later in life. (late 20's). Hopefully soon I will have the same strength that you have. My goal is to come out to my family and close friends by the end of October. Best of luck!

15. BigGayAlex

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So... I just kinda hinted to my brother about the news. I asked for one of his best friend's phone# (who has been openly gay since childhood) just so I can physically talk to him about some stuff. Let's call him "k". K has a boyfriend (who is WAY out of my league anyway) so this is certainly not an attempt to take K away, just to talk. I'll let y'all know how it goes, K is a really nice guy and hilarious, just like everyone here! :slight_smile:

#15 BigGayAlex, Sep 17, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  16. BigGayAlex

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    My story continues...

Today I officially came out as gay to my mother. She was very accepting and even said "I knew for awhile". That was a relief to finally let her in the know. Later on, I called my brother (in Texas) and told him as well. He also was very accepting. I plan to tell my sister and her husband this weekend. I know that will go over well too, just need to do it. I also wore a gay pride shirt today too. When I was grocery shopping, I got looks from almost everyone, even a "Hey. OH HEY!!! :slight_smile: " look from a guy. Some women stared, others didn't. One of the baggers at the checkout line literally stopped what he was doing and stared at me blankly for a solid 8-10 seconds, like if he was frozen. I just smiled and shrugged my shoulders as I walked by him.

17. Biker boy

Good for you...its time people stop hiding and fearing others and stand up and take their true place in the world. I'm proud of you and now you can start truly living life... Alone we are just one together we are millions

18. 50ishandout

Great for you Alex. Isn't it great to be out.

19. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Must feel great to go from:

"I would cry myself to sleep some nights when I was younger"

to:

"Today I officially came out as gay to my mother. She was very accepting and even said "I knew for awhile"".

Keep the ball rolling!

20. BigGayAlex

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thank you again everyone! (*hug*):kiss: