1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out As Gender Fluid to My Brother

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Snidi, Sep 14, 2015.

1. Snidi

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hi all,

I've come to realize that I've got gender fluid tendencies. It's impossible to tell for me how serious these are- whether it's a light quirk that won't seriously hinder my life or if it's a more deep issue that will hinder me and cause damage. Regardless, it's something I really need to talk to someone about, outside of solely an online community.

I simply hadn't had the heart to tell my brother that I'm gender fluid, despite my belief that he would be 100% accepting. I just can't possibly fathom saying it.

So, I've decided to write an email instead. But I'm not sure if the words are too intense. Should I be very descriptive, or straight to the point? How would you craft a letter like this? Any advice is supremely appreciated!! :slight_smile:

My draft letter if anyone's interested. Should I trim this down a bit?:

#1 Snidi, Sep 14, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
  2. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    No, I think it's alright. Explaining can't hurt, maybe he's not familiar with the terminology.

3. Snidi

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I think he's familiar with the term. Anyway, how's the message? Am I saying the right thing/approaching things correctly?

4. Snidi

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Please help, everyone. This is a serious issue, and I need to approach it properly. I've never come out to anyone before.

5. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Truthfully, in a way, it feels like you are asking your brother to try to convince you that you really aren't gender fluid. It's so filled with doubt and you view being gender fluid in such a negative manner. There is no pride in yourself, only shame. It does evoke sympathy which might be what you really want from your brother. He will most likely urge you to go to a psychologist and try to convince you that you are wrong for your own sake.

Here's a great example of a coming out letter by Ender, maybe it will give you some ideas:

http://emptyclosets.com/forum/gender-identity-expression/184350-my-revised-coming-out-letter.html

Here's a letter that I wrote, the idea is to show how much of a struggle it is and show him that you are who you are and that it is important for you that he accepts you, but most importantly that it is, ultimately, a positive development that you are finally coming to terms with who you really are:

http://emptyclosets.com/forum/coming-out-advice/186236-second-attempt-letter-trans.html

Anyway, I hope it goes well and that your brother responds well. It's a good idea to ask yourself how you want your brother to respond and build it up from there. (*hug*)

#5 Eveline, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  6. Snidi

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hm, perhaps. Definitely difficult to decide how exactly to represent these thoughts. I want to say something but I'm so scared.

Any other ideas?

#6 Snidi, Sep 15, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  7. Snidi

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Hi all,

Bumping this because I'm scared and need more advice.