1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by DangerousDan, Sep 14, 2015.

1. DangerousDan

DangerousDan Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This post will sort of be me having an argument with myself about whether or not I should tell my family/peers at school that I am gay, I do however appreciate any thoughts or pieces of advice from people that have had experience in a situation similar to my own.

I am of two minds regarding whether or not to tell my family, and everyone else for that matter, that I am gay.

On the one hand, I am getting somewhat tired of pretending to be something that I am not and I want to scream out that yes I am gay, and no mother when I go out for my arduously long walks I am not secretly seeing a girl, I am genuinely going on a lengthy walk just to clear my head but if I were seeing someone I was in a relationship with it would most certainly be a boy. As well as not feeling like I am lying to my parents/everyone else I know 24/7, which would really help to bring down my stress levels (and would likely lead to those bald patches on the back of my head growing back). There would also be the added possibility of actually dating guys, because well being in a gay relationship whilst everyone thinks you're straight doesn't really work. I also don't believe my parents would disown me, they seem to get along fine with other LGBT+ members of our family on the rare occasion that we actually see them. I believe that this would also be the situation at the school that I currently go to as most people there are rather accepting.

On a little side note with the why I should come out, I would like to mention that it is also a promise I made to myself. I said that once I had got my life back on track (after having repeated a year) that I would finally tell everyone the truth and for the large part (other than applying for uni's) I have managed to do just that, to not do so feels like I am letting myself down.

Then there is the part of me that says to hold off of telling everyone, thus far this part of me has been winning the argument. Whilst my parents may seem to get along with other LGBT+ members of the family, when we are alone they tend to make a rather unhealthy amount of 'fag' jokes (amongst other comments) about them. This is most clearly seen in my younger sister, who whilst nice enough doesn't really think too much for herself and has adopted the views that my father tends to display in private. That is to say a rather offensive anti-gay stance. I suppose I am worried that either one of two things will happen with my family if I come out to them; either they will continue to make gay jokes and will direct them at me, or they will be on edge watching everything they say, like when we visit other LGBT+ members of my family therefore making it next to impossible to have what feels like a natural conversation with them.
    Then there is the whole school thing, whilst most of those around me are accepting (essentially the science kids) I do still go to a CofE school and homophobia is still very common there amongst people that I will end up working next to at some point or another. On top of all this, I will be moving away to uni next year and so perhaps it is better to wait till then when the reaction of my family/friends at home will have less of an impact on my life and I can join a more LGBT+ friendly community at uni than I would be able to at a CofE school.

TL DR:
    -Yes I should come out: I can stop feeling like I am lying to everyone, lower stress levels, be who I am, consider starting a relationship and finally do what I promised myself I would.

-No I should not come out: Negative reaction from family in that I will either be the butt of a large amount of their jokes or they will end up on edge all the time when speaking to me thus making a proper conversation impossible, there is a chance of a bad reaction from quite a few of my peers seeing as I am in a CofE school where I know homophobia exists and I am moving to UNI next year which may provide a much easier way to come out whilst also avoiding the whole drama of bad reactions from friends/family.

So to conclude, I am clueless! I am no closer to deciding whether or not to come out to people around me yet or not, I really do want to, however I am terrified of the negative reactions I might receive and so perhaps now is not the best time.

What do you all think?

2. 50ishandout

I like the moniker, Dangerous Dan. You need to understand that you must Come Out for you and no one else. I've myself have had alopecia in the past due to stress. Thankfully my hair grew back. Then I shaved my head for years. We'll that was stupid.

Anyway, sounds like your family will be ok with you being Out. I know myself that I've never been better since I've Come Out. People tell me I look 10 years younger.

Get that stress off of you. Tell your family, they will still love you.

Let us know how you make out.