1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out at school?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by sailingonwards, Sep 15, 2015.

1. sailingonwards

So I have an activism class in which I have to make a video about my identities. And I'm planning to use it to come out at school. (The teacher's okay with me using the project for that, I checked. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Then she had to check with the guidance counselor and diversity director, hahah, I guess to make sure that I have support if it goes badly.) I'm just not sure if it'll be seen as attention-seeking, especially since I'm literally telling everyone in a freaking presentation in class.

I'm a junior in high school, and not many people take this activism class seriously (unless they love social justice, like me). Do you guys think that people might see it as attention seeking? (because of stereotypes of bisexuality as well as the format of the presentation?)

2. guitar

First of all, huge congrats for even considering doing this! You're incredibly brave. :slight_smile:

Second of all, I don't think it's attention seeking, especially since the point of the video is to talk about YOUR identity. Plus, you coming out could help someone else in need. At the very least, it will get LGBT issues more out in the open among your classmates.

I did the same thing over Facebook: came out to everyone. A few gay friends (of all people) accused me of being attention-seeking, which was never my intention. All I wanted was for everyone to know I was gay so I could move on with my life. I don't want to have to explain myself to people 500 times that I'm gay. If anyone does accuse you of this, tell them the same thing. You just want others to know so you can be yourself freely.

3. CameronMR

It's weird how the gay ones will be less accepting! I've come across that too. They should have pride

If your class loves social justice a much as you, coming out in a presentation should go over well.

Best of luck! Let us know how it goes!

4. sailingonwards

thanks <3 I'll post next week how it goes :slight_smile:

5. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's great!

And no, it's not attention seeking either! Update on how it goes, good luck :slight_smile:

6. sailingonwards

Meh. Project isn't actually going to be presented until later. Will post update once I do it. <3