1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out On Facebook (Please Help)

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by sophieee, Sep 15, 2015.

1. sophieee

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    So, lately I've been wanting to come out as bisexual to the people at my school. My mom has known for months, my sister knows, so do a couple other family members and most of my friends (but not all of them). I know that there's bound to be some homophobes at my school, but I honestly don't really care anymore. I used to get made fun of a lot in middle school, but people have really grown up since I started high school, (I'm a sophomore now) and people leave me alone. I still don't have any more friends than I used to, and I don't really talk to or interact with about 98% of the people who go to my school anyway. So I figure that I don't really have much to lose. And if I get made fun of, I can handle it. I don't let things like that get to me as much as I used to.

As far as I know, none of my close friends at school are homophobic. Except one of them last year said something along the lines of "I always feel weird when one of my friends comes out to me as bisexual or lesbian because I feel like they're gonna hit on me" but I don't really care, honestly. I've never hit on her before and I'm not gonna hit on her now. If she feels that uncomfortable she can stop hanging out with me.

Anyway. I want to come out via Facebook status. I know that may sound like a stupid idea to some of you, but that's how everyone is doing it these days. It's really the most effective way. I mean, what else am I gonna do? Stand up in front of everyone at lunch and yell "hey I'm bisexual"?

I have two Facebook accounts. One that I'm friends with pretty much only family members on, and one for my friends and people from school. I would post it on my friends/ people from school account. And the privacy for most of my posts on that account is set to "friends only", so none of my family members will stumble across it somehow (I have most of them blocked on that account anyway). But, what if they do? That's what I'm worried about.

I'm ready to come out to the people at school. But I don't know if I can do that without someone that I don't want to know yet finding out. There's just a few family members that can't know. Specifically my grandparents, and my other relatives who are super religious anti-gay "you're going to hell" "I'll disown you" kind of people. My grandparents don't even have Facebook accounts, or accounts anywhere on the internet really, except email. But I'm still worried that they'll see it somehow, no matter how careful I am. Or that somebody will tell them. Even though the chances of that happening are extremely slim.

So I guess what I'm asking is, is it a good idea to come out (partially) now, or do I need to wait until I'm an adult when the opinions of my family members don't matter as much anymore?

I really want to come out. I just want to get it over with. It might even help me meet somebody. No boys have ever really liked me...maybe a girl will? I've never really been able to be with a girl because I haven't been out. I've been with girls, but only in long distance relationships. I'm still not over a girl who broke up with me almost 8 months ago, and although I don't want to "use" someone to get over her, I feel like I won't ever fully be over her until I meet someone else (my intentions aren't to just to get with anyone so that I can get over her. I want to find someone who I really like) And if I don't get over her soon I'm gonna lose my mind. But that's a whole other story.

So anyway... what should I do? :/ (Sorry this was so long)