1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm out to most everyone but my family

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Klaus643, Sep 15, 2015.

1. Klaus643

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I know this is one of those classic I'm not out to my family sounding things but everyone has a story.

I came out about 2 years ago at school and to my friends but have not been able to tell about half of my family because they are strict Southern Baptist and refuse to hear that being gay isn't a choice you make. My dad had said on more that one occasion that if I ever turned out to be gay that he would basically disown me but now that I'm in college in tired of hiding behind a lie. I just don't know how to talk to them about this

2. SnowshoeGeek

Welcome Klaus!

I'm fairly new too, and I have found this to be a really great place and very thought-provoking. I too fear coming out to my family, even though my mother is openly supportive of gay rights. So I cannot even imagine what you are going through. I understand the paralysis. I would just say that, remember, anyone who puts you in a position of being punished for living/thinking a certain way - that's on them. That's not a way to be a good person. So, this is about just basic human relationships of any kind. I mean, there is one problem of dealing with being in a disenfranchised category. But being related to people who espouse such hatred in general... scary. I don't have answers, I only know that it took me many years to recognize just plain ugliness of spirit in some people, and that it wasn't me or anything I did. Some people are angry and hateful, became that way long before I ever entered their lives.

I wish you the best, and I hope you keep posting. There are answers inside you and people here can help you hear them.

#2 SnowshoeGeek, Sep 16, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2015
  3. BiWolf

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hey! Look, i know how you feel. I had a very similar problem. Maybe you should come out with a group of friends with you,
    they will back you up and give you the confidence to do it.
    hope this helps
    biwolf