1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cant tell male friends!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by riddlerno1, Jan 5, 2009.

1. riddlerno1

Hey so, i have come out to my 5 closest female friends but now i want to tell my male friends too but just cant seem to do it. I met up with one of the guys last week with the intention of saying something but when it came to the crunch i bottled out. I just couldnt bring myself to do it, it was like my mouth didnt engage with my brain! The thing is apart from family i would like all my friends to know but dont know how to say those words. What do i do? Any advice most appreciated!

2. george678

Yes I know that feeling exactly yes 100% Been there done that!
    Well what I would do well I did with emy first friend is write it down on a peice of paper.
    After that it is was a massive lift of my shoulders and I told the other just as if I was speaking in a normal convo.
    Hope it helps.
    Regards,
    George

3. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! First off, congrats on coming out to some of your close friends! Way to go! :slight_smile:

Coming out to guys is really no more different than coming out to girls. The message that you want to get across stays the same. I don't know how you came out to your female friends (in terms of what you said) but maybe try thinking about a context that you could use to come out to him. Is there something that your friend has said in the past that you could use?

The other thing to keep in mind is that sometimes it takes for us a while to come out to certain people. With some of our friends we might be unsure because we don't have a strong confirmation as to what their leanings are, and this is partly the reason why decide not to come out in the end even though we want to. You know your friend. Think about what he has said to you in the past. If you are not sure as to how accepting he might be, maybe try coming out to another friend, perhaps a mutual friend? Keep talking with him, and sooner or later you will know and have the answers that you might be looking for.

When you do get together with him again, maybe try finding a different place. Maybe a quiet place or maybe invite him for a cup of coffee.

I hope this helps a bit!

4. riddlerno1

That does make sense^^ I like the coffee thing cos all my comings out have been in coffee shops for some reason! But all my male friends have all said negative things about gays before and i always used to think 'well only if you knew.....' cos we have been mates for approx 4-6 years and they do accept me as a person so what would being gay change there? nothing much in my eyes but in there eyes i dont know!. With my girly friends i knew they would be accepting even if i was scared to take that leap initially. Im sorta thinking of telling a male friend who i dont know that well but is still a close friend, almost like a trial run and see his reaction? Do people think thats wise?

5. riddlerno1

Oh god i was just on the phone to this friend and we were talking about something and he said, " i know this sounds gay but..." and when i questioned him he denied he meant it that way but then he was curious as to why i bought it up. I said that it was because he was using the word in the wrong context and then we moved on to something else. This is waht i mean by being homophobic and i know its just their ignorance but it scares me to their recation when i tell my mates.

6. Ben

Ben

A lot of friends who are anti-homosexuality often change their views when someone close to them comes out. A good friend will try to understand and embrace your courage to tell them.

A good test is to bring up the subject of homosexuality with them and see what they say. But still even if they come out with a negative comment it's very likely their views will change over time, once they link you, their friend, to a concept they don't like, it's much more likely they'll change their view on homosexuality because they know you're a good guy. :slight_smile:

Good luck with telling them if you do so, Sandy (*hug*) It usually goes better than expected.

7. 1974

Something i did was trying complete opposite spectrums, one person was very open anyway and the other guy was a real mans man football etc. You may be surprised that if they know you well enough that it is ok, however be prepared just in case.

The first was absolutely fine with everything the second guy basically said that he didnt understand the whole gay thing but respected me as a person and didnt care.

Having said that I havent told all my male work colleagues yet so i sympathise with you.

8. riddlerno1

Thanks Ben. I hope it does change their views as they have known me for years and im still the same person. But its just that thing of if it does go badly will i lose some of my really close mates? I know that if they dont want to know me then are they worthy of being called friends but it is quite scary. But i dont think i can hold it in much longer as the reason i came out to the girls was to be true to myself.

9. Ben

Ben

If they're true friends, they'll realise the struggle you've been through and that will help them embrace your sexuality and you for telling them :slight_smile: If thy're really stubborn enough not to try and accept or understand you, they're really not the type of person who makes a good friend anyway. But the chance of that happening is still slim. I know it's daunting, but you have to do this if you feel you have to do it. (*hug*)

10. 1974

With binvisible on that one, i know that i am happiest with the people that know and stressed with people who don't. You can only be yourself. :thumbsup:

11. riddlerno1

Thanks Ben and 1974!(&&&) I know its what i want to do and what i need to do so it will happen, i just need to bite the bullet! All the advice really has helped! (*hug*)

12. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I think Ben said something really important here. Friends, good friends who you trust and know can count on, will try to understand you and accept you. Sometimes, friends will say homophobic remarks but as soon as someone comes out to them, they change and start thinking about what they have said in the past and might even apologize and feel sorry for their past remarks. Yes, some might take a little while to come around to it, but if you are honest with them and let them know that this has not been easy on you they will come around to it.

Thinking back on what you could say, maybe include that in your coming out. You could tell them that the last number of months have not been easy because you have struggled in understanding yourself. You have gone through a lot but you have reached a point where you feel happier because you are yourself. But you feel that the time has come to let them know because you value their friendship and it is important to you that they know. You want to be honest with them, you want to be yourself around them and you want to stop the hiding.

That should give them something to think about. Remember that true friends will understand you. If they can’t then you have to ask yourself is it really that important to have him as a close friend? A close friend should be able to accept you, because being gay does not change anything about your friendship.

Hope this helps a bit!

13. riddlerno1

Asteroid that does help tremendously. And what you've said is completely true, it has been tough for me to accept myself but now i cant hide it anymore and hopefully they will change their views and ideas of what it is to be gay. Or even just be undersatnding to the fact that their stereotypical and judgemental views are not accurate. I hope so. Thanks so much! (*hug*)

14. foxkid777

Well its hard i guess since its the same sex and all and it will feel harder, but i told some of my friends that are guys and they treat me no different =] if they are your friends they should be ok with it =]

15. gentlegiant4

Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Agreed, and I'm sure a lot of us can attest to this. One of my male friends explained it to me like this (After we were engaged in this exact situation): Guys especially will say rather disparaging things about gays because they assume that other males are straight and have also been conditioned to dislike homosexuality. And often, very few guys actually do have anything against homosexuality.

16. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

For me it was easiest to tell my male friends online instead of face to face, to avoid some awkwardness...

17. riddlerno1

Yeah i would like to do that except i feel i owe them in some wierd way to say it face to face. Sounds bizarre i know. But im gonna do it tommorow. Ive called my mate and arranged to meet tommorow afternoon so i will tell him then. And its in a public place so if he throws a wobbly then at least itll be ok. Boy, someone tell me this gets easier with every person you tell.

18. Blaz

Blaz Guest

Yeah, I agree with the letter form to a certain extent. I would not think it wise to hand a friend a letter and then run off, or leave it for them to find. I personally think it'd be good to hand them the letter to read while you are with them.

and in some situations, your presence and emotions are what make the difference between certain people accepting you or just abandoning you altogether. It's sad, but many people walk that fine line. . .

19. Aries

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I Don't Think It Matters How You Tell Them. If They Are Your True Friends They Will Understand And Support You. I Went Through The Same Thing, When I First Figured Out I Was Bisexual It Was Easy For Me To Tell My Guy Friends But Really Hard For Me To Tell My Female Friends, Especially Because My Best Friend Was A Girl At That Time, A Streight Girl And I Didn't Know How She Felt About That Kind Of Thing.

Well When I Told Her She Stuck By Me, Well For The Most Part. She Made It Awkward To Be Around Eachother But She Was Still There For Me When I Needed Her.

Just Come Straight Out And Say It And If They Have A Problem With What You Tell Them Then They Aren't Worth Your Time.

:confused:

20. gentlegiant4

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Let us know how it goes!

And, btw, it does, exponentially : )