1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by fjord13, Sep 16, 2015.

1. fjord13

Hey everyone! I need some advice on coming out.
    So I really want to come out to my family as bisexual and genderflux, but I'm scared to, not because my family is homophobic, they are actually very accepting. I just am pretty bad at talking about stuff with them, and I'm not very close with my dad, so I'm scared about talking to him. I would like to come out to my mom first, as she is probably the most accepting and understanding of the bunch, I just don't know how! I would like to come out in person, but I'm not sure I have the courage to. I also don't know whether or not to just tell her about my sexuality and not dump everything on her at once or to come out completely. I feel like I would be lying to my family if I don't come out soon, I've tried to tell both my mom and my twin sister about my sexuality, but I chickened out at the last minute. It's also become a little more urgent recently because I would like to get a binder for the days that I feel more agender than female, as it can be really uncomfortable and stressful sometimes. Sorry about the super long rant, I'm just soooo nervous. Thanks so much!

2. Acuba403

Don't worry about having a long rant, there have been longer posts. based on how you described your family you should be fine, if you are worried about how to tell the you can talk to a school counselor for advice (Most schools and post secondary institutions provide them) or you can talk to a family counselor and take her there (some are free to go to). There are also help lines that you can contact and talk to for advice and if you need help. When it come to how much to tell them about you, is up to you. Do what ever makes it easiest on you and what you are most comfortable with. It sounds like you have a good family though so you should have no problem when you come out. Hope iI was able to help. (*hug*)

3. Taramil

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well it sounds like you should at least come out about being genderflux with your mom. Unless you plan on going out with both men and women around your parents, I suggest waiting on telling them about your bisexuality. The last thing you want to do is overload them with information. It could make them think that you are being insensitive to their feelings if you tell them that you are both genderflux and bisexual in the same day.

Following my own advice, I have come out about trans to basically everyone. I have yet to tell my family that I am a lesbian who is questioning whether I am bi or not, but that would be way to much for my family to deal with right now and I don't want to overburden them with information.

I feel that you are really lucky in that you actually have a twin sister. I don't know how close you are, but from what I remember from my twin friends in high school most are generally really close to each other. If that really is the case, try confiding in her about being genderflux and see how she takes it. Then tell your mother. If your family is as accepting as you feel they are, they will probably hug you and help you out in telling other family members.

I would like to emphasize precaution in telling them about being both genderflux and bisexual at the same time, because if they are not accepting, it could end up being worse than you thought.

Just from my experience on coming out. Sorry about the long post.

With much love and hugs,
    (*hug*)
    Alice

4. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

You could always write a letter if you want. That would make it easier and you can write everything down that you want to say. You could also write in it that you wouldn't mind talking about it later. That way it's a bit more personal (moreso than through text) and you can still talk about it later.
    Or if you still want to do it in person, you could ask your mom if you could talk with her later about something. In some ways, doing that might be a tad less scary (maybe not, I don't know) so you're not saying it right away. If you can say that, then it kind of forces you to have to tell her later (which could be better or worse, it's whatever you're comfortable with).
    Best wishes!<3