1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not coming out to my family?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by horrorgeek, Sep 16, 2015.

1. horrorgeek

Though I have come out to some close friends and would like to be more open about my gender and sexuality, I still have not told my family about my being agender or pansexual, and I'm not sure if I ever will, even though it would be by no means unsafe for me to do so.
    My family is Christian and fairly conservative, and while I don't think coming out would be at all dangerous, I feel like it would create really unnecessary tension between my family and I. I am already not that close to any of my family members, and my mom has a habit of handling such situations really poorly. Last year she had a really huge breakdown about my atheism, but in trying to console her I found out that it wasn't so much in that she didn't want me to go to hell, but because she was embarrassed that I didn't do this class thing at her church that all her friends' kids were doing, and she didn't believe I actually don't believe in god until then. I'm kinda worried if I ever come out to her, she'll act similarly.
    Regardless, I just don't really have a very close relationship with my family, and it doesn't seem like coming out would be worth the resulting awkwardness. Is that selfish? And, to those of you that are out to your families, was it worth it?

2. blackraincloud

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Though I'm new to this I believe you should do what every makes you feel safe.