1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

(X-posted) can I just *be* out without coming out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by baristajedi, Sep 16, 2015.

1. baristajedi

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure I want to have a "talk" with everyone about my orientation (bisexual) but I certainly want it to be out on the open, I want to be authentic, I want to be visible, and I want to be unapologetic about who I am.

But I don't know how to do that. I've heard stories of people coming out casually, and I think I find that fits my sense of "this is who I am, take it or leave it" thst I wish to embody.

With my bestie and my mom I've already had more of a talk, which is fitting because they are people I turn to when I need support in introspecting, and to my great relief they were both incredibly loving.

But with my siblings and maybe even my dad and stepmom, I feel like I'd rather it comes out in this more confident "this is just me" kind of way. I am totally ok with being vulnerable with all of them but I feel like alot of the introspecting I need to do is not necessarily something I want to share with them all the way. I don't want, for example to give any indication that there is strife in my marriage.

But I have no idea how to do this....does anyone have success stories?

One complication is that having lived as straight for so long, and being married, its very jarring, sudden...I don't know the word I'm looking for.

Also I live far from my family, like across the ocean far, it will be a long time before I'm in the same place as them, so the opportunities for this to slip out naturally seem slim.

Also, I want to be taken seriously, so I don't want it to be too casual. I don't want it to seem like a joke.

And finally I just have no idea how to even slip it in....

I thought of things like finding ways to slip in conversations about bisexuals in the media or something... But it's all very I don't know. I don't mind it being contrived, I just want the result to be - she just opened up about something personal and central to her. This is a real and genuine thing. I want it to be such that I can continue to be authentic in representing me thereafter and there's no confusion or surprise...

Does anyone have any encouraging thoughts on this?

---------- Post added 16th Sep 2015 at 11:02 PM ----------

One example of how this could be doable is like I could call my sister and chat with her. I've been telling her lately about how much I love ian Mckellan and I only recently heard his coming out story. I might say something,"maybe I'm drawn to it so much because I don't feel like I've always been authentic myself" ... And then we could go on from there

Or my dad and I always talk politics, so when he comes to visit next month I could mention how proud I am that we've passed the federal law for gay marriage. And I could say, you know I could have been one of those people fighting for marrisge with a woman I love....

2. alli o

alli o Guest

I say go for it I wish I was confident enough in myself to it this way!
    Recommendations for how to "bring it up"
    Slightly mention a girl you have a crush on casually in a conversation
    well pretty much I say I would just act like it was normal the gays/bi's were the straights act like you have already told them and just let it slip out in the conversation