1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

bully at school

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by cm25, Jan 6, 2009.

1. cm25

cm25 Guest

well he's not rily a bully idk i couldnt think of another word but like he is in my spanish class and he sits in front of me. During spanish him and his friend (Theyre two grades ahead of me) sit there calling me gay like the whole hour. Its sooo anoying and i dont know what to do about it. Even like when i ask a question they will like behind theyre hands or whatev say "oh you dont know it cuz ur gay, ugh homo" and it hurts my feelings when they do this. i try to ignore them but its not that easy because they do it ALL hour and just wait for a reaction. They have been doing it forever and like even when i sit on the other side of the room they still do it. They havnt done anything physically but like what can i do to get rid of this, to get them to stop. I just want them to cut it out and i have talked to them i asked them to stop and they were just like oh no we cant stop because UR GAY, ugh its so fking irritating! i just want it over! please help! :help:

2. Bunny

Have you tried talking to your teacher about it?

3. Amy

Amy

The best things to do would to inore him and tell the teacher.

I would bite back, but it's not the best thing to do.

4. Gumtree

You can definitely ask your teacher for help, even without telling her that your gay.

But what worked for me in those kinds of situation was agreeing with them.

Whether being sarcastic or being serious just agree with them, they have no cannon fodder against you when you either own up or agree.

5. cm25

cm25 Guest

ya i think im gunna talk to her tommorow about it thanks. And i have shrugged my shoulders when they said it in like a 'ya, so' sorta way and i dont think it worked :frowning2: they gave me a confused look though. and amy, theyre big and muscular i prolly left that detail out so i dont think thats a good idea hehehe.

6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yeah, definitely tell your teacher! I'm afraid that this could carry on outside of the classroom where you might not be as safe. Just be careful, ok?

7. NoLeafClover

This type of thing is really disappointing.

Verbal beatings for no reason. Douchebags.

8. Markio

I hate people like that! They're so mean and don't realize how much it hurts! I wish I could just punch them in the face so that they leave us alone and feel pain themselves!! I think the best thing to do would just be to sit far away from them. It's easier to ignore them...

9. foxkid777

You should alert your teacher about this since it is harrassment and try to ignore them because that will make you the better person =]

10. cjtom

cjtom Guest

I find it wierd how we will eventually become very proud of being gay but these dumb asses make it something to be ashamed of?!

11. joshhunt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At my school, my brother started getting teased because I was gay, which I felt pretty bad about. As soon as I found out I went and talked to a teacher about it (it does help if you are close to them) and broke down in tears and told her everything. I asked my mum (because I didn't really want to tell by brother I helped him out :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:) if it had stopped, and it had. I also asked his year advisor who became aware of it and she told me it had stopped.

In short, talk to a teacher

12. Markio

If they persist in calling you gay, you could just say, "Why are you guys so obsessed with me? It's like you have a crush on me or something."

13. Ben

Ben

So I'm assuming that if they shout this across the room, then your teacher would hear what they're saying. Seeing as this teacher hasn't got them to stop, it would probably be a good idea to speak to a teacher other than the Spanish teacher about this, possibly a tutor if you have one. They should be able to confirm these remarks have been said with your Spanish teacher and sort this all out.
    You'll find these people will listen to authority figures when told to stop, and you should find they will stop communicating with you in this way. :slight_smile:

14. Steve

Born in australia, but now living some where else
    what you should do is when thry try to make fun of you .. accept it
    " you dont know it beacuse your gay -
    oh snaps unlucky me "

if they see that it dosnt bother you they will stop

15. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>I hate people like that! They're so mean and don't realize how much it hurts!

Actually, they do. That's precisely why they do it.

This might not stop it from happening, but it might make it more bearable when it does. Try to get inside their brain. Look beyond their words, and look for their motivation.

For example, there's probably some guys and girls in your class that you think aren't that attractive. But you don't call them "ugly" at every opportunity. You probably don't call them "ugly" at all. And you don't call the larger kids "fat" or the failing kids "stupid". Why not? Well, why should you? They know they're not that attractive or large or not doing well. They don't need someone pointing out their failings. It only would make them feel bad.

Back to them. Why are they calling you "gay" and "homo"? You obviously know this -you don't need it pointed out. So they're obviously doing it just to make you feel bad. OK, so take it a step further. Why are they trying to make you feel bad? Almost certainly, they're trying to make themselves feel better about themselves. There are two ways people try to make themselves feel better about themselves - they can try to lift themselves up, ("I'm worthwhile") or they can try to drag others down ("you're worthless"). And, as a teenager yourself, you know how difficult it can be during those years to feel good about yourself. It's easy to hate your looks, your abilities, your position in life. So faced with either trying to build up their own fragile egos, or tearing down the easily-fractured ones around them...well, let's just say they're taking the easy way out.

So next time it happens, do try to disassociate yourself a bit. Try picturing the exchange from a third-party, like from above, on the ceiling, looking down. Try not to take the comments too personally. Remember that they care less about dragging you down than they do about trying to drag themselves up. And, if you can disassociate yourself enough, it won't bother you as much. And because of that, they won't be as successful in their attempt. They'll be stuck further down. :slight_smile:

Mind you, this is all much easier said than done. It's easy to say "don't let it bother you", and a lot harder to actually not let it bother you. But if you can do it, even somewhat, it'll have two effects. First off, it'll make you feel better. And secondly, it'll keep them from feeling better...which should probably make you feel even better. :grin:

I would second talking to the teacher outside of class. Do your best to approach the problem in an adult manner - "here's what's happening, and I'd like to minimize it. Is there a way we can do this?" - rather than a childlike manner - "they're being mean, make it stop". If you approach her as an adult, your teacher will be forced to deal with you as an adult, and a lot less likely to give you an answer fit for a child - "kids will be kids, there's nothing I can do".

Good luck. :slight_smile:

Lex

16. lordjord96

well this happend to me (in spanish aswell lol) and i just walked out without a care in the world......dont do this!!!! u get in trouble. talk to a teacher change class. try to avoid them. noone likes a punch to the face ok going of topic.....like i said
    1.change class
    2.talk to a teacher
    3.punch um up:roflmao:

17. -Michael-

If someone did this to me, i always made a scene of it.

Making sure everyone knows and the teacher....

Like stand up and start shouting at them telling them to shut the fuck
    then obviously the teacher will wonder what the hell

this way....you don't have the rep of 'snitch' lmao
    and you seem HARDCORE MANNNN!

:')

18. cm25

cm25 Guest

thank you everyone for the replies, its awsome how much you care about each and everyone of us on ec. Thanks again.
    Back on topic though, i tried talking to my teacher and she just like ignored me and she can def hear this going on. She just sort of blockes it out, idk why it sucks because i need her to support me right now haha. Well i think i know who to talk to, i dont really know my counselor at this school but te counselor from middle school was awsome. we talked about everything and she was my first hour teacher. Me and her are actually very good friends so i think i could talk to her, and i feel safe with telling her im gay/bi. Well i think im going to try talking to either her or my new councelor tommorow and tell her whats going on. I dont really see them outside of class, i passed one of them once in the hall today and he knocked my books down and gave me a dirty look but thats it. but i am def being way more aware now, i always have a friend with me now whereever i go, just to be sure i have backup haha. Thanks becky for makin sure im ok outside too. and lordjord, punchin em might not be a good idea haha, hes bigger than me! and im skinny, he could probably snap me in half hahaha.

19. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Yeah, if the teacher isn't listening definitely talk to others until somebody is willing to step in and help. Everybody should feel safe at school.

20. Urman

Urman Guest

You could try to have your seat moved if you don't want to approach the teacher about the whole situation right away.If that doesn't work then i would report it to the teacher and the Principle to make them aware of your situation