1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I come out: international version

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by joshhunt, Jan 7, 2009.

1. joshhunt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Currently I am in Japan for a student exhange, partaking in everyday school life for another 7 weeks.

I have deciding against coming out to like everyone, because I'm afraid that people might not like it take much and I become even more alienated (being tallish and redish brown hair) than I laready am. I just feel that things are fine as they are, so there isn't really a need to come out.

But now I have became friends with this guy in my class who is probably going to be staying with me for three months next year when he comes to Australia. As he is going to be going to school with me, he would likely find out I am gay.

My question is this: when, if at all should I come out to me. I don't know how comfortable he (or japan) is with the whole gay thing. And I don't him to find out I'm gay when've comes to australia incase he has an adverse reaction to it.

Help plz.
    Kthnxbye

2. Vector

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    tomodachi wa Australia ni kiru no mae ni, hanasana kerebanarimasen. *

To do him a courtesy, I'd let him know in private - perhaps shortly before you leave - in terms of him knowing before he comes to stay with you. It's up to you weather or not to ask him respectfully to maybe keep that bit of information on the low-down.

As for letting everybody else know - if there's no real need, then there's no need, really. :slight_smile:

* Forgive my lousy Japanese if it's incorrect, I haven't studied for 3 years now. I'm doing well to be able to form a sentence at all, actually.

3. Aries

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I Think You Only Really Need To Tell Him If He Is Curious, I Don't Think It's That Important To Come Out Right Away. Unless He Is Uncomfortable With The Way You Act Around Him, It's Not Exactly Any Of His Business How You Live Your Personal Life Unless He Is A Part Of It.

4. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

I'd let him know, especially if you two are becoming such close friends.

5. -Michael-

Who says you need to come out.
    Just act as if they know.

Then do as you wish.
    No point in making a fuss for nothing.

6. sdc91

You could tell him if you want, but I wouldn't bother telling other people-- especially your Japanese classmates.

7. devushka

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    have you been in Japan for long? do you have a good idea about their views on homosexuality? I think that the choice whether or not to come out should depend a lot on the culture's views on homosexuality and whether or not you are comfortable about sharing this information with your classmates.

I was still questioning last year when I was in Russia on a student exchange and very quickly realized that Russians are pretty homophobic in general. Even if I had been more sure of my orientation, it would not have been wise for me to disclose my orientation to anyone, nor was it necessary. My priority while abroad was not to find love, but to make friends and learn about another culture. Obviously in an ideal world, I would have been able to share this with my host families and friends, but in reality it probably would have backfired on me. I didn't want to strain relationships with my host families by bringing up something that would make them uncomfortable and in terms of friends: it's hard enough to find them without bringing that bit of info up. I generally avoided the subject of dating and when asked about boys, etc. I'd give fairly short, neutral responses. Of course, now that I'm back in the states and ready to try dating girls, I'm unsure of if I would ever disclose my orientation to my host family. We are in touch and I know if we still are in touch in 5 years or whatever, they will want to be kept updated about my life and especially my love life.

About the boy who will be staying with you: I agree with the above posters that you should probably tell him before he comes to Australia. The choice of when again depends on your personal comfort level. should the info get out at school, would you be ok with that?

*Edit: ok, nevermind, I see you've already decided against coming out in general. I'll leave the content of my post in case other LGBT exchange students are struggling with the same question...

8. joshhunt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow. Thanks for the response.

I have absolutly no idea what Japans view of homosexuality is, but I do know that my host family knows (their daughter came out to Aus and saw that I am gay) and they don't seem to have a problem with it.

I think I will tell him within the last week I am here, mainly out of politeness, and incase he like freaks if he finds out while he is staying with me.

And I don't think I act that gay at all. I am pretty sure no one even suspects that I am gay.