1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to drop hints that you're gay?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by rudysteiner, Sep 25, 2015.

1. rudysteiner

Hey everyone,

Does anyone have any tips on how to drop hints about your sexuality? I know it's a strange question, but if I drop hints, I'll most likely be too obvious with it, so I think I'll need a few tips, if anyone has any to share.
    There's this guy I like who I met recently, and I don't know whether he's gay/bi/whatever or not, so I want to drop hints about my own sexuality to him and see how it progresses from there.

Anyone?

Replies are much appreciated!

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Quite a few ways:

- Talk about recent LGBT news: County Clerks, Marriage Equality, etc.; always a good place to start.
    - Talk about a few openly gay celebrities, musicians. Etc. - Sam Smith, Olly Alexander, etc.

See where those discussions lead you?

3. rudysteiner

Thanks!

I was thinking about bringing up LGBT news, so I'll most likely do that, but we both do Eng Lit too so I could bring up some novels while I'm at it because that's usually what we talk about when we first start talking and then move onto something else.

4. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's thinking about it the right way!

5. CapColors

Mention an ex boyfriend casually

6. rudysteiner

Yep, I think I'll ask him about Giovanni's Room or something similar as it's the kind of thing he's likely to read from what he's told me.

I wish I did have an ex-boyfriend to casually mention, but there is something similar I could use.

7. Serperior

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Act like the stereotypical gay guy from TV

8. GreenPanRose270

Obsess about same-sex ships from any fandoms that you're in.
    I'm that one person who spams their friends' groupchat with fanart and GIFs of gay couples :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

9. MrSkittles

What I did when I was dropping hints to my friends was stare at guys around us and see if they notice

10. rudysteiner

I would do this, but he's one of those guys that when you're looking at him, you don't want to look at anyone else, if you get what I mean.

11. AshleyDi

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    You can give awesome hints simply by your body language. For example, men tend to occupy space, it's beyond their control they just do it, like when standing, instead of having their legs close together, they will normally stand with a distance between their feet. Another thing is, how men walk, again, they occupy space, so simply focus on the space you are taking up, bring your arms in, and keep your legs somewhat close as you walk, not to much that you look like you are trying, but just naturally occupy less space. Another way to hint, is when you are mingled talking, men will tend to avoid to much eye contact, and their bodies are usually not facing each other, this is like the male dominance thing that they can't help either. Your hand movements and body should be fluid in motion, versus stiff and strict. Some gay guys can seriously over do this, but everything I am telling you is what female traits are. Of course none of this would apply to you if you are not a fem guy, then ummm, I can't help you cause I'm terrible at trying to be a dominate male, every time I tried, I failed horribly. My fem side is just natural, and never really paid attention to it until people started calling me out on it, I started studying body language in school for one semester. Anyway, good luck.

12. rudysteiner

Unfortunately, you'd have to be extremely close to me to realise that I'm gay, and even then, I've got a great friend who I've known for five years but didn't tell her I was because I thought she already knew, and I had to tell her last week because she didn't know. I'm usually pretty casual about it, but in this situation I don't want to just say to him "L, I'm gay", as I don't know how he'll react. I'm sure he'll be great with it but I don't want to risk him not being okay with it because if nothing else I can see a great friendship blossoming between us, both gay or not. I wish Polari was still a thing because that would make things so much easier. :lol:

Also, about the eye contact - is that an actual thing?

#12 rudysteiner, Sep 27, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  13. Ryu

Ryu

Leave an LGBT related magazine lying around and see if anybody notices.

14. rudysteiner

Okay, so..

I accidentally came out to him last Friday while we were on the topic of Russia. He was quite nonchalant about the whole thing and didn't really give a shit and we're still good friends, there's no awkwardness or anything. Unfortunately, though, he's not gay. I think he might of thought I fancied him (true) so I told him I was gay on purpose (false). He told me about 10 minutes later as we were walking to the bus stop that he 'has a girlfriend that he's 'trying to get rid of', i.e. swerve, dump, whatever.

Note: I came out to him by accident, as he was saying he'd 'never go to Russia because they're all dickheads', and I kind of dropped the g-bomb on him by saying 'oh, yeah, same but I'd probably get arrested or something' via word vomit and then thought 'Oh shit. Oh shit. Oh shit.' So I thought I might as well tell him.

15. CapColors

He might have brought up Russia on purpose so you guys could clear the air, actually. It's no more subtle than what you were considering. :slight_smile:

Sounds like a good friend, even if he's not interested romantically/sexually.