1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Low self-esteem after coming out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by danielz5, Sep 25, 2015.

1. danielz5

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Does anyone else feel, even after coming out to family and friends and getting a super positive response, still a really low sense of self-esteem from having been closeted for decades and around one or more heteronormative / homophobic environments in your past? Just wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences.

2. Leopold

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I'm out to everyone I know except myself. Still can't call guys cute or anything in casual conversation. I live in a conservative area and it's killing me. I thought coming out to family and friends would be a silver bullet but it so wasn't. I wish you luck.

3. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Part of the journey after coming out is building your self esteem, confidence and eliminating any internalised homophobia. Everyone will have their own timeline and achieve different levels of confidence.

The more you personally achieve, the more hour confidence will build. Meeting other LGBT people socially, going on dates, participating in the LGBT community can all play a role on your journey. Even hanging around and participating on EC helps!