1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to older brother soon

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ThatGuyT, Sep 30, 2015.

1. ThatGuyT

ThatGuyT Guest

For the past 2 years I've been coming to this site almost on a daily basis. I feel like I have accepted myself and am ready to come out. I recently found out that a good friend from back home (I moved away from home to study) is bisexual. She will, without a doubt, be thrilled to find out that I'm gay since she has told me that she thinks most of her friends are too ''normal''.(!) I've almost come out to her a couple of times but I feel like my big brother should be the first to find out. I feel like this could bring us a lot closer. Since coming to Germany I've only seen him twice (he picked me up at the airport and we both went to one of our cousins confirmation). Both of the times I saw him he used the word ''gay'' to describe something multiple times...which sort of got me thinking that he might be hinting at something...but then he phoned me once and while we talked he asked me how things were going with the ladies so I'm not sure if he was actually giving hints or just using the word ''gay'' as an insult, probably the latter. Now he has been nagging me to come visit him and his girlfriend, which I haven't met yet, so I'm already nervous about that as well:icon_redf. They recently moved in together so they are pretty serious I guess. I might go visit them this weekend and I'm scared that I won't get the words out of my mouth. This is so nerve wrecking but also super exciting. I think I just need some encouragement. If anyone has any advice or motivational quote or something, I would really appreciate it.:slight_smile:

2. 50ishandout

What I can tell you is that the people including my brother who I thought were the most homophobic people around me have turned out to be the most supportive people in my life.

Give your brother a chance. He may just surprise you.

3. ThatGuyT

ThatGuyT Guest

Thanks :slight_smile: I forgot to add that I definitely think he will react well. He has gay friends and has even gone to a Christopher Street Day (European pride parade) and had pictures of that on Facebook. So I'm not really worried that he will react bad. I guess I don't really know why I'm worried. It's just so weird to think about coming out. I must've gotten so used to being in the closet that being out seems very alien.

4. 50ishandout

The Closet is a place of comfort. It's a place where we go to be safe from being hurt. It's a place that destroys our self being. It's a place that will ruin us.

5. horrorgeek

That's so great that you feel comfortable coming out to your brother, way to go! It may be pretty nerve-wracking to get up the courage to tell him, but I think you'll find that it'll be a really huge weight off your shoulders. Best of luck!