1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Recently out of the closet...but what do i do now?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by tallginger, Oct 1, 2015.

1. tallginger

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hey everyone! :smilewave

I came out to my parents on the weekend which was pretty scary, my mum luckily guessed it but was still very shocked yet supportive and my dad gave me the (sarcastically affirming) "Don't worry, you're young!", which I guess was his own way of telling me to be cool and it's fine.

The thing is, I thought coming out to them was the hardest part, but now I seem to have everyone else!! I'm about to go back to university and I have no idea how to deal with all these people I've known for 3 years, it feels as though I have "lesbian" printed on my forehead and I'm not sure if I'm ready for my 78 class mates to know.

Apart from my class I seem to have to rest of my family as well!! For some reason I find the idea of telling my godmother (for whom the multitude of her best friends are gay) really difficult, even though she will probably be the most understanding.

Maybe the more people you tell the more real it is? I think it would help if I was actually dating someone, that way people could see it rather than me just awkwardly saying "she" when they incline "he" whilst talking about dates...

I guess I don't have a specific question, more of a collection of worries, anyone else feeling the same?

2. BigGayAlex

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    To be honest, I may find it a tad difficult telling my intermediate family above all others. Many of them are die hard christian or catholic, so I may become shunned. Oh well, too bad! In a way, I really want to tell them not just for myself, but for my younger cousin who is not out yet (if in fact he is gay). It may be easier for him once he knows that I am out to the family... His mom is a JC cray cray but I am sure she will be ok. His dad however, well, may not be the same. Both of his parents are up to date people, so they are not like "An apple computer? Is it red with leaves and smell?" :laugh: My mom said to never let my grandfather know, he would definitely disown me. So, if the news gets to everyone BUT him, so be it.

3. Nick1020

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I feel, I'm out to my immediate family but not grandparents. The southerners (my dads side) can never know but I feel like the northerners (mom's family) may find out eventually. This is especially important because my grandpa on the southern side is helping me pay for college. Don't get me wrong, they're wonderful, kind and loving people, I just don't trust them to have a positive reaction.

4. Sunrays

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey!

Don't stress about it! Well done on telling your parents, it's very difficult! I told my parents before my friends and the rest of my family too!

I would pick a friend or two who you would like to tell and then when you feel ready tell them that you've got something that's bothering you and you'd like to talk to them about it.

Or if it comes up in conversation just take the opportunity!

Once you have a circle of friends who you are out to it becomes easier to just gradually widen that circle until you don't have to think about it anymore! :slight_smile: