1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to really tell if a guy is gay...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by justinishere, Jan 8, 2009.

1. justinishere

Hey Everyone. So I was just wondering... A lot of people do say that there "gaydar" does work. So I was just wondering what are some things you look for to see if a guy is gay? I know that a lot of the hand gestures is normally one look for but what else??

Thanks!(*hug*)

2. Urman

Urman Guest

I personally just look for a persons body motions to me that's a huge give away also you can tell how they speak or act.That's all i can think of anything else right now sorry but i hope that helps a bit

3. SkyTears

I can't really say how I tell. I just get vibes. I mean there are times when its like, oh s/he is gay because no straight person would say/do that.

4. Adam

With me, you would probably never guess. Some guys stand out very easy though. But then again some guys I think are gay are not at all...you never know!

5. Pendragon

At least im not the only one who can't tell half the time. Its like somebody was going through and said "Yea, he'll be gay, but no gaydar for him! Muhahahahaha!" I can never seem to get it right lol

6. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Think of your own personality traits and try to recognize them in other people.

7. Trystan

sometimes, I can sorta just tell... like an intuition or something

8. listen up world

If they look at guys kind of sexually...which is a hard thing to look for... I can't really tell, lol. In theory, look at all the things you do to hide in the closet and look for them in other people: example, never bringing up homosexuality, getting nervous when someone brings it up, making less eye contact with guys, the thing were you kind of glance at someone out of the corner of your eye for just a second so it doesn't look like you're staring at them....

Nothing can be 100% accurate though. Remember that.

9. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I have a rather horrible gaydar, but one of the things you can try to look out for is a completel lack of attraction to women....a lot of guys talk about how hot girls are, and talk about girls they want or their gf's. If the guy ignores the conversation, then I suspect :wink: .

10. Gumtree

I'm more the.. er.. walk up and ask.. kinda guy.

BUT

A few things that a "stereotypical gay" would do.

- Look self conscious when standing still

- Knees together when sitting

- Surrounded by more girls then guys

- Voice

- Language "Oh my god, no way, I like sooo can't believe it!"

- Posture when standing still or if they have a knee bent but not leaning on anything.

- This is a weird one, but if your school doesn't have a strict uniform, look at their socks. Socks are the doorway to your soul!

- Assertion in the corridors! Are they the type that pushes through or the type that moves around?

- Eye contact - sure straight guys will make eye contact with you on occasion, but what a straight guy will think nothing of it and just look away - a gay guy will make a face or look down at their feet straight away.

11. BitterEdge

BitterEdge Guest

Most people think I look/ act straight, ask Janvier who has met me. But take a closer look I do have some gay tendencies like dancing...lol

12. Peter

Studies tend to show that between 2 and 5% of the male population is gay (politically biased studies vary more: right-leaning conservatives tend to show 0.1 to 1%; left-leaning liberals say around 10%). Rare is the person who identifies anywhere near every twentieth person as gay. The gaydar allows to recognize certain movements (see Gumtree here above) or eye movements (a guy whose eyes flicker between your eyes and your crutch); also the gaydar for many people, in my opinion is a mixture of wishful thinking if you don't know and hindsight when you do.

13. kramer362

Gaydar seems to just play on stereotypes and intuition. Also sometimes I see guys try a little too hard to assert their straightness.

As for stereotypes, most of the time if someone acts like a stereotypical gay guy, they are gay, though I try not to draw assumptions but we all do it.

As for intuition, there's never any way for me to actually tell since I've never followed up, but for me it's all in eye contact. I don't think most straight guys would lock eyes with guys they don't know, just like I'm gay and I don't really give girls I don't know a second glance, certainly not looking them in the eyes anyway. But I've maintained eye contact with guys most would assume are straight before, so it just becomes a feeling I have. It'll be like walking past each other in opposite directions at the mall or on campus and you both somehow hone in on each other and lock eyes and hold contact until you'd have to strain your neck, or be too obvious to continue. No way to actually tell though..

Also there are some people who tend to focus too much on how gross they think homosexuality is. I've heard a guy say something about gay sex and then follow it up with "ugh I couldn't even imagine doing that with another guy," and for some reason it immediately made me think he's attracted to guys but won't admit/accept it, because usually by his age (at least 21 since we were at a bar) guys don't still find it necessary to assert their masculinity like that, at least not in the group of friends we were with. In most cases, once a guy is out of like high school and matured a bit, I think only someone real insecure with their sexuality even needs to randomly bring up that they think gay sex is gross. Then later I found out everyone's been trying to find this guy a girlfriend because it's been forever since he's dated, so I think the poor guy's just got some internalized homophobia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internalized_homophobia#Internalized_homophobia

Nothing is certain though and it would be nice if something was :bang:

#13 kramer362, Jan 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  14. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I won't tell you my rote answer - it's a bit on the obscene side. OK, it's a LOT on the obscene side. :slight_smile:

Best way to find out? Ask. But even that method isn't 100% successful. People can and do lie, or may not know.

Lex

15. Bryan.

Bryan. Guest

wow i think these five are me :confused:

16. JustAnotherName

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I do them too, particuarly the knee bent thing xD

My "gaydar" seems to vary, the moment I meant Craig, the guy I had a crush on for the better part of last year, I knew he was gay it was just a vibe I got from him.

With me, I've been told that I am straight acting but there are times when I'll do or say something that makes it obvious.

#16 JustAnotherName, Jan 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  17. Urman

Urman Guest

Its just a vibe as SkyTears has said before

18. Blaz

Blaz Guest

A lot of it has to do with how well you know yourself. That makes it sound so simple, but there are so many other things as well as subdivisions of this that are to be taken into consideration. . .

19. Aries

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    If It's A Femenine Gay Guy I Can Usually Tell Right Away 98.5% Of The Time. The Masculine Gay Guys Though Are Tough To Figure Out Though Most Of The Time. You Gotta Watch Out Though Because There Are A Lot Of Streight Guys Out There Who Dress The Part And Talk The Part And Look The Part But They Have Never Had A Gay Thought In Their Whole Life. I Know Someone Like That.

It's Like The Opposite Of A Gay Guy Trying To Come Off As Streight. You Know, When Streight Guys Act Gay And Make Everyone Think They're Gay But They're Not!! Like It's Some Kind Of Trend!!??!?! :confused:

20. listen up world

I hate that...it always throws me off. Then when actually gay guys act gay, I think they're straight!!!