1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think my parents will be ok with it. So why am I still scared?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Liz81, Oct 3, 2015.

1. Liz81

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I know my parents are open to gay people, gay marriage etc... and I think they'll be ok with me being gay. So why am I scared to come out?

2. Gleek99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That sounds pretty normal :wink: I'm also pretty nervous to come out to my parents. Everyone is :3 when I came out to my ex online bf I was shaking! But it felt good to tell him in the end :slight_smile: he took it well, but ya..

And you shouldn't have to worry, if you feel that they'll take it well. So don't be scared! When your comfortable/ready to tell them, then go for it :slight_smile:

Best of luck!
    -Raven

3. Liz81

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks. Any one else can help, too?

4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Coming out can be a daunting process and you learn something everytime you come out to someone new, because no two reactions are ever quite the same. It's that unpredicatability that makes it so daunting. Fortunately, times are changing and we are more likely to get an accepting or positive response than a negative response, but there are still people who harbour irrational fears and they can be quite vocal about them and seem to be more representative than they perhaps are.

Even if you are fairly sure that your parents will be okay with it, doubts will remain and you may ask yourself if you are judging them wrong. It's normal to have these anxieties, but I return to my previous point about changing times and people being more accepting than intolerant. If your parents love you and care about you and they want the best for you they will accept you. It may take them a bit of time to adjust to the idea and we always need to be prepared for that, because we cannot expect anyone to be totally indifferent to the news. Even people who accepted my sexuality years ago reacted with a degree of shock when I first told them, simply because they didn't see it coming. They expected me to get married, have kids and be the typical family man and in a few brief seconds I trashed that idea forever. Even you will appreciate how much of a curve ball that is for people. So try to understand that your parents first reaction will probably not be their final reaction.

Most people see coming out as a face to face process and think it's impersonal to say it in writing, but don't dismiss the idea. Have a look at these letters (most to parents/families) and see what you think: Empty Closets - Coming Out Letters

Finally, if/when you decide to come out to your parents, have the contact details for PFLAG to hand. Their website https://community.pflag.org/ is very good and you may wish to take a look yourself before speaking (or writing) to your parents.

You can do this. I managed to come out to my parents a long time ago and if I can do it, you can too. :slight_smile:

5. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey as the others have said coming out can be very daunting even if you think people will be accepting and supportive. It's telling someone something very personal and it makes you very vulnerable especially to begin with. If your mind is like mind it can think of many worst case scenarios even though you think people will be ok.