1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My friend just came out to me, and I'm also gay..

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Maskell, Oct 4, 2015.

1. Maskell

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So, I've been at this new school for a month, and a friend that I've made just came out to me as gay - I'm the only one he's told, and he doesn't want it spreading. I don't really know whether if I should tell him that I also happen to be gay, and if so, how, because I believe it would be a little awkward to just mention out of the blue. Him coming out to me hasn't changed our relationship at all, which is a good thing, but I don't know if I really want him to know I'm gay just yet, as that will likely change his attitude towards me. Then again, he is gay himself, so he would probably understand..?

Anyone have any thoughts?

2. Rainbows~Exist

He's put a lot of trust in you; telling him that you're gay as well would strengthen your friendship, not damage it. Personally I'd suggest you tell him, that way he'd feel more comfortable around you and vice versa. Don't worry about his attitude toward you changing. By coming out to you himself he should entirely understand your decision to come out to him.

3. alli o

alli o Guest

of corse he would understand he is going throught he exact same thing as you. If I were you I would totally go for it and come out to him because your friendship with be so much stronger considering both would have a big part of you I common and you woud know you had one person supporting that part of you.

4. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

If you're not ready to come out yet, then you shouldn't feel like you owe that to him. If you come out later on then he would surely understand if you didn't tell him because he would respect that you weren't ready (just as he's barely ready himself and probably just beginning to accept his own gayness).

It depends on your relationship with him if you think it could change things. I mean, I don't think it would make you guys stop being friends. In fact, I myself has a friend who's bi and knows I'm gay and we're also both attracted to each other but not ready for a relationship. Since we're honest about all that, we're still friends.

If you do want to tell him, I think he's probably a great person to tell as he's obviously very trustworthy and understands exactly where you're coming from. It will probably be a huge weight off your shoulders to have someone to talk to about it, or just know you have someone there supporting you. I think it could possible bring you guys closer together because you'd both know that about each other that nobody else knows.

I think coming out can always feel like it's out of the blue no matter what just because it's kind of a big thing to say. But practicing in your mind (or even in front of a mirror if you want) how you'd say it to him could help. When he told you he probably felt it was random and he was probably very nervous about it so however you tell him (if you do) he'd probably be understanding and helpful.

If you decide to tell him, you could just ask him if you could talk through text if you want. Then find some time to get him alone and just say it, or just do similar to what he did.

5. doinitagain

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm with Bubbles. You are not quite readt to tell him yet, so just hold fire a short while. It may be just a few weeks before youfeel ready, or longer. Don't feel pressured or obliged to tell him as when you do he will totally understand.

6. 50ishandout

If you are ready to Come Out I ask you this question. If you told someone you were Gay, someone you trusted with that information and they were Gay would you want them to tell you?

7. guitar

I'm torn, somewhere between Alli-O and Bubbles. On the one hand, when you come out should be entirely up to you: when you're ready. It's no one's business but your own. Also, like you say, it could make your friendship more awkward, or put a feeling between you like you have to date or something. But this doesn't need to be the case - there are dozens of straight males and females who are friends, and that's it. Why does it need to be different between two gay guys, just because there are less of us?

On the other hand, a friend coming out to me was literally what changed my life and enabled me to come out to someone and share my feelings. It instantly bonded us. Having someone like that in your life when you're also coming to terms with your sexuality can be invaluable. It might also make your friend feel not so alone.

I can't tell you what to do, and I'm not trying to sway you in any direction. Read what the others have said (there's some great advice) and try to weigh your options in a way that makes sense for you. Keep us posted. :slight_smile:

8. Maskell

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for all the advice guys. I'm still kinda unsure but overall I feel like I should tell him; I don't NOT want to in particular. However, today he did tell me that he kinda regrets telling me. Don't really know how to respond to that :lol:

9. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would commend him for being brave and trusting in you, and let him know that you support him and won't tell anyone if he doesn't want you to. If you want to use that as an opportunity to come out to him that would work, but no pressure if you're not ready. At least by saying this he knows you're a good friend

10. Gay1234

I also recommend d telling him. It will strengthen your relationship and give you a friend that is in the same boat as you. You could talk about your feelings that a straight person may not be able to answer. I say go for it. Who knows ye may like eac other in the future :slight_smile:

11. Biker boy

My opinion you shouldn't come out just cause someone else did... If you feel its time then go for it but cause you want to and feel comfortable with it. Tell him being gay is nothing he's still the same person he was the day before he told you and nothing can change your friendship. Dude don't jump the gun till your ready and on you own terms you might regret it later, so be sure that's all

12. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    As others have said .. keep him as a friend and be supportive

My only other thought is that - as you have only just met him - you do not know how trustworthy he is.
    Is it worth just getting to know him a bit longer until you feel confident that he is trustworthy and that you are also ready.

13. Moukazaru

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    By the way I'm stealing your signature.

Anyway, I really doubt coming out to him will harm your friendship. If you're not ready, you don't have to, but if you ask me, I say do it.

14. alli o

alli o Guest

I have come to you again you said your friend told you that he regreted coming out to you! Do not let him regret it or feel as if he shouldn't come out because little do we know but this is stoping him from telling others a very important factor of his life you need to make him feel proud of himself for telling you he trusted you with this and you need to help him and reassure him just as you would want when coming out to someone else also he may feel awkward and as if there is always an elephant in the room when he is there and that your relationship is diferent now don't let him feel this way

15. Maskell

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, I told him, and he doesn't believe me xD
    We're on good terms though, nothing's really changed. I guess I'll talk to him about it tomorrow.

Thanks for everyone's thoughts.