1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Was planing on coming out...but?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by alli o, Oct 4, 2015.

1. alli o

alli o Guest

I always thought that my parents were ok with people being people being gay and the LGBTQIA+ community. The other day I was talking to my family and as usual my mom was bugging me about boys and I made the comment as a "joke" to them (but you all know it was actually telling the truth) that I didn't want to date any guys in our grade at our school (keep in mind my graduating class has almost 1,000 people in it) my mom proceeded to yell at me for giving guys a hard time and I needed to give them a chance but what really got me was my dads comment he said "well the that would make you gay or well lesbian wait is the a bad word?" and then I was joking and telling my dad about me and one of my friends and our married life which was a joke and he said "so you are becoming one of those" referring to gays. I just don't really know what to do I was almost ready to come out but after those comments I am not sure.

2. Mickey 29

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My parents had made many joking comments about the Gay community before they knew I was gay. I think when we are in the closet we can be super-sensitive and only focus on the negative things people say. There were many people I thought were homophobic, until I came out to them, and they have been totally great about it. It is often, the lack of exposure to other LGBTQ people that causes hurtful comments, rude jokes, etc....so you Coming Out may help. It did for me.