1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just came out to my sister but feel bad about it

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by thewizard, Oct 4, 2015.

1. thewizard

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I just came out to my sister, but over text. I wanted to tell her in person, but she goes to college so I didn't have many options. She was really supportive of it, but I just feel bad or sad or I'm not sure. Before I came out, I felt fine but now I just feel ashamed or a word that I can't even describe. I always thought that my coming out would have a positive outcome but now I regret it. Did this happen to anoyone once they came out?

2. Vesta

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my personal opinion, and this is just an interpretation from what you've written, it's not so much that you feel bad about coming out to your sister, but more of the way that you came out to her. You mentioned that you wanted to tell her in person but couldn't so ended up having to tell her over text. Since you were unable to come out to your sister in the way you'd wanted, maybe this is the reason why you're feeling bad?

3. thewizard

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think you're right. I guess it just wasn't what I thought of when I came out to we so I guess that's what it is. Thanks for helping me figure that out

4. whww123

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah give it some time and I'm sure you'll start feeling great about it. :slight_smile:

5. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm sure you will talk about it some more when you see her face to face and that will help to lessen the feelings you have right now. The most important thing is that she responded well.

6. bidemi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You should never feel ashamed about your sexuality.Since your sister is obviously accepting of who you are.at least you have a family member who supports you.So why not cheer up

7. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Maybe because it felt impersonal you feel weird about it. But this was obviously the best way for you to do it given the circumstances and sometimes it's just the only way you can get it out and that's okay.
    I think once you see your sister again, you may feel better about it and you may even want to ask her to talk about it as this will give you some closure.

---------- Post added 5th Oct 2015 at 08:34 AM ----------

It's also hard to tell what someone's reaction is when it's over text so this could be what's making you feel uneasy.