1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worried my friends won't take me seriously.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Canterpiece, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So, there's been a lot on my mind lately. I have settled into my new college really well, but the topic of relationships has reared its ugly head once again. The group of friends I hang with are all girls, and they've begun like many teenage girls to chat about dating.

I know that it won't be the last time either that it's mentioned either. :dry: People have been starting to ask me about my previous relationships, and I hate it. I want to talk about it but there's something at the back of my mind holding me back. I was literally shaking the other day just because a girl asked me what my rainbow bracelet was, and it took me a while to respond and explain it was a pride bracelet.

People say coming out gets easier the more you do it, but it sure doesn't feel like that right now.

We were having a discussion about partying before and this girl said that she had heard that all girls "turn" into lesbians when they're drunk. So I'm kinda worried they won't take me seriously if I ever came out to them. At the same time, I really want someone who I can talk openly about these things with, I guess I do but the only people I can talk to about this live quite far away. Just wanted to get this off my chest. :eusa_doh:

#1 Canterpiece, Oct 5, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  2. questions4ever

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Aw that's hard I'm sorry. I honestly think you should come out to them. Most people today are pretty accepting of gay/lesbian people so I think you'll be fine (even with the uneducated comment). I get it can be nerveracking. Just be honest and relaxed: it's not that big of deal. If you act as such, they'll act as such. In the end you want true friends who you don't have to hide around.
    Hope this helped somewhat! (((Hugs)))

3. Gay1234

I think u should come out to them. I they do not accept you then they are nt true friends are they. I'd say go for it and if they don't accept you just move on and get some friends that will care about to no matter what your orientation is.

4. JB2015

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How long have you known these girls?
    Are you close to them? If so I can understand your anxiousness.

In general I would say you shouldn't have to hide who you are and should be able to join the conversation about dating and such, though I personally understand that this is sometimes much easier said than done.

If they are close friends, or friends that you otherwise have an interest in hanging on to, I worry it might become harder for you the longer you wait to come out.

How did the one girl who asked about your pride bracelet react when you explained what it was?

On the other girl. I think some people just make those comments because they don't know of anyone in the gay community, so they don't have anything to go on except what they hear.

5. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "How long have you known these girls?"

Not that long, about a month.

"Are you close to them? If so I can understand your anxiousness".

Yeah, we're fairly close.

"How did the one girl who asked about your pride bracelet react when you explained what it was?"

Apparently she didn't hear me the first time, but she asked about it again today. The conversation went a bit like this.

"Is it meant to represent something?"
    "Oh, it's a pride bracelet"
    "Like gay pride?"
    "yeah"
    "oh"

*a little while later*

"So are you a big supporter then?"
    "Um yeah, I guess you could say that. I mean I have my reasons"
    "Which are?"
    "Take a wild guess :dry:"
    *Pause*
    "Are you gay?"
    "Yep"

She then went on about having gay friends and we had a conversation about LGBT+ issues and stuff. So she was fine with it. :slight_smile:

"On the other girl. I think some people just make those comments because they don't know of anyone in the gay community, so they don't have anything to go on except what they hear".

The girl who I explained about the bracelet to was the same girl who made that comment. Ironically enough, she knows a lot of people in the LGBT community. She has friends who are gay,lesbian,pansexual and trans. Sometimes she wonders if she's the only straight person in the group. XD :lol:

"I know quite a few people who are gay, trans, and lesbian including you of course, (name of person I know) is pansexual"

"Yeah I know"

"What do you mean you know?!?!"

"She had a pansexual flag on her hand when I first met her"

"She did? Huh, I didn't notice"

She is very accepting, even if she does stereotype a bit. But I think we can all be guilty of that sometimes. (!)

#5 Canterpiece, Oct 6, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2015
  6. JB2015

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow. I'm very glad this one girl is so accepting and I'm glad she has a wide base of friends in the LGBTQ+ community. That speaks good to her character.
    I'm glad things went so well with her, and I hope this has given you some confidence.

If you still have concerns about coming out to these other girls, this girl may be of some help/insight.

I hope things continue to go well, and please keep us posted.

7. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Update: Although I haven't come out to the other girls, I think they know. One of them came up to me and complimented my bracelet and asked if I'd made it myself, and then said "gay pride" enthusiastically, but it didn't sound sarcastic or anything. She tends to just be an enthusiastic person.

The other- I'm not sure what to make of her, I remember the first day I came in wearing the bracelet I swear I heard her whisper "she's a dyke" to my other friend who was sat next to her, but then again I could've been hearing things. I know she can be quite insensitive to any topic though, but then again I don't really talk to her much so it isn't really an issue.

It hasn't really come up with my other friends, but I'm not really worried about it at the moment. :thumbsup: