1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

People Who Haven't Come Out: When are you planning on it?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Jalo, Oct 7, 2015.

1. Jalo

Jalo Guest

My original plan was to come out to the family around Christmas of this year, but I'm not really sure. I need more time to "think" on it, y'know? I think my birthday is a more suitable date, though it's in June.

How about you guys?

2. tulipinacup

I was also planning on coming out during my birthday to my mum. I do think it will depend on you once you are ready. Whether it be a week, year or decade, it doesn't matter. This isn't like deciding to start working out or trying a new diet because it's completely the other way around. Don't be pressured if you feel like you have to because it shouldn't be. Good luck!

3. Serperior

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    At 18 when I move out

4. Lone Dragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've never really put a date on it. I did though plan on coming out sometime before my 21st birthday. That err didn't happen.

Take your time. No rush.

5. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To my family: My plan is still a vague "When I'm moved out and financially stable." Hopefully by next summer.

To my friends: Whenever it feels like the right moment.

6. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Some people might be thinking of coming out this weekend on Coming Out Day (11th October), but that's clearly far too soon for you.

The most important thing is to come out when you are ready to. There will never be a 'perfect' moment and it's normal to have a bit of fear before you do, so don't wait forever hoping it will one day be a breeze to come out, because that's probably not going to happen. Coming out sooner, rather than later will allow you to begin living with freedom, but don't force the issue.

A note of caution: if you plan to come out at Christmas please do not do it on (or just before/after Christmas Day or New Year). Remember, the build up to Christmas is stressful for many people and when the big day arrives everyone wants it to be perfect and a happy family time. Introducing an item of potential conflict will not go down well. You could end up being seen as the 'villian of the peace' and it will not be a happy day for you, or them. If you are determined to come out around Christmas wait until the 27th or 28th when people are coming down from the big event.

7. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Planning on coming out about sexuality to a few close friends before I move away from here in a year or so. Gender, well, I'll think about coming out once I figure some more stuff out myself.

For family, no clue about anything. I'm very scared about coming out to family and I'm nowhere near ready yet on that front.

8. Lyana

I'm out to my mother, but not my father or brother -- mostly because she asked, and they didn't. I do want to have the conversation eventually, but am not very eager. I only see them a few weeks a year, and next time is for Christmas, which probably isn't the best time. I suppose coming out to them is going to be similar to telling everyone else who knows: at some point, there's going to be a moment where it just seems right/necessary, and then... done.

I think you should wait a bit, if you're not feeling it. Maybe try to understand why you need more time. Christmas is still a couple months away, so maybe by then your way of looking at this will have changed. If you're still unsure, then there's nothing wrong with waiting until June, so long as being closeted isn't making you feel suffocated.

9. galaxygia

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At some point...? My friend (who is gay) is coming over this Saturday so if my parents listen to us talking then I guess they might figure it out but that's the closest I'm going to get for now.

#9 galaxygia, Oct 8, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2015
  10. Aviator182

Soon hopefully :slight_smile: I plan on coming out as gay to my mother this month or early November. It really depends on a couple of things working out. I have had this over whelming need to finally tell her the truth so I think it is finally time. The rest of my family will know shortly after that with the exception of my Grandfather. I will never be able to tell him and that's okay. He's from a different generation and does not need to know. Friends I will tell when it comes up in conversation.

Come out when you're ready. You'll know the right time. Good luck with what ever you decide!

11. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Four years to go...
    Unless I'm accidentally outed. Well that would be bad.

I'm already out to many friends, people I know from school and stuff...but my parents? Yeah, that's not gonna happen.

12. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I thought I would wait until everyone I know has dementia or has died. Either that or get it on my tombstone...a big gay-rainbow themed tombstone...with tasteful nude sculptures of a man and a woman on top.

13. mbanema

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I honestly don't think it's going to happen for me.