1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out to older brother.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ThatGuyT, Oct 9, 2015.

1. ThatGuyT

ThatGuyT Guest

For the past few months I've been wanting to come out to my older brother of 4 years but we live in different cities and both have classes at universities for most of the year. Two days ago I finally went to visit him. He had moved in with his girlfriend a few weeks ago and since they have a big apartment now they wanted me to come visit them. I wanted to tell him the day after arriving at his place but chickened out.
    So today I told him he should take the train ride with me to the city where my bus would stop. The train ride took about 40 minutes and I wanted to talk to him during that time but when we got on the bus it was so overcrowded that we had to stand. Then we managed to sit next to two people, so I still couldn't talk to him. In the last minute of the bus ride I noticed 4 open seats and told him we have to sit there. At this point he was already confused as to why we couldn't just wait that one minute. When we sat down I said: "You know how you always ask me how I'm doing with the ladies?" he said yeah. Then I said: "Well....that' never going to happen. Do you understand what I'm trying to tell you?" and he said yes. Then he sort of shrugged and said "So?". (!) It wasn't a big deal for him. He said I was still his brother, asked me how long I had known and if our parents know. And then came a huge bonus. His girlfriends older brother is also gay. :eusa_clap This feels amazing.

This morning I also came out to a good friend of mine...on accident. She thought my big secret was that I had a gf. I was almost certain that she already knew that I was gay so I sort of mentioned that coming out to my brother is going to be nerve wrecking. Then only did she realize what was really going on. She was so surprised :roflmao: but she's bi so she was completely fine.

I couldn't have gotten up the courage to do this without reading through these posts on EC. Thanks :slight_smile: I'm glad that I can add to the collection of happy coming out stories here.

2. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You have an awesome brother! Congratulations on coming out to him, I'm happy for you! :slight_smile:

3. questions4ever

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Aw good for you!!! Someday I will be that confident and brave I think ...

4. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

That is so fantastic!! Way to be brave:slight_smile: and congrats, that's awesome!:slight_smile:

5. ThatGuyT

ThatGuyT Guest

Thanks guys :slight_smile: Questions4ever I'm sure that day will come soon enough. It's a great feeling.