1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Came out trans, need good links

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by KaelTail, Oct 9, 2015.

1. KaelTail

So, I just came out as trans to my mom, and she is very confused and concerned, but she loves me and is open to reading more about this. I know I've seen a million good links to resources that I would have loved her to read, but now that she's actually asking for them I can't remember a single one.

Anyone have some good sources of information to give the concerned parent of an older trans person?

2. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Congratulations on coming out to your mom! Glad to hear that she loves you and is willing to read/learn more about it. :slight_smile:

PFLAG has some good resources on their site. One of them is a PDF brochure on coming out, Our Sons and Daughters. It might be helpful to your mom.

Your mom might also find Guide to Being a Trans Ally*, and Our Trans Loved Ones: Questions and Answers for Parents, Families, And Friends of People who are Transgender And Gender Expansive to be useful. :slight_smile:

It might also be worthwhile to visit a PFLAG meeting with your mom, if she is ready for it. This would give her a chance to speak with other parents and learn about others' journeys in accepting their sons/daughters after they came out.