1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to my parents

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Iknowplaces91, Oct 11, 2015.

1. Iknowplaces91

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Since the beginning of this year, my parents are going to be divorced and on the one hand it's easier for me but also i don't want to hide it from my father.
    I'm going to tell my mum that i finally discovered my sexuality and i'm pretty sure that she'll be fine with it and will support me. I'm really close to her and know that she is open to that topic.
    But my father... i know that he never really thought about that stuff and he doesn't like to talk about it. He just keep ignoring people who are 'different'. He now lives with his new girlfriend and her two daughters (both younger than me) and we are not that close anymore. I can even say that it doesn't matter to me if he is alright with it or if he starts ignoring me when i've told him.
    So the thing is... i don't know if i should tell him. He is my father and i know that he loves me like i do him, but sometimes i just think: 'Let him be'. If he gets to know it someday it's okay, but i don't see the necessity to come out to him.

2. rainbowtheorist

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi there !
    I understand coming out to parents can be hard, especially with people that are not too open to that kind of subject.
    I think you should tell your mother since you think she'll be ok with it. It's good to have at least one person in your family you can confide in.
    For your father I would wait. You don't seem to see the necessity so there is no hurry. You can actually talk about that with you mother once you've come out to her. Tell her you don't know if you should tell your father or not. Maybe she can even "prep" him if they are still on speaking terms.
    How about your father's girlfriend, how open minded is she and how close are you to her ? She could be a good ally to help you come out to your father.

Hope this helped and have a nice day !

3. Iknowplaces91

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    They are not really on speaking terms, so i'm not going to ask my mother about it.
    But your suggestion with his girlfriend could actually be a good idea! She seems to be a nice and open person and i doubt she would turn me down if i ask her to help me.

However, i will tell my mother till my next birthday in january and im not in a hurry with telling my father right now.

And thanks for your reply! =)

#3 Iknowplaces91, Oct 11, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2015
  4. Belle the Bee

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I am actually in a very similar situation.
    My mom and dad split a little over a year ago, just as I was coming to terms with my sexuality. I know my mom and sis,whom I live with, will be supportive when I get up the courage to come out, but my dad is a different matter. I am not very close with him, but I do see him once a month and at family gathering on his side of the family. I was also wondering if it was necessary to come out to him, as I know he's not very supportive of any thing LGBT. He's not flat out against it though, so its not like I would be in a dangerous situation.
    Anyways, I don't have any advice for you, but I just thought we were in similar situations. Good luck!

5. Iknowplaces91

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    We're really on the same terms. I wish you good luck with your family!