1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

National Coming Out Day!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by TheRealTheaJane, Oct 11, 2015.

1. TheRealTheaJane

So I've told quite a few friends who all use the right name and pronouns.
    Last night I went out on the town for the first time as a woman (bearing in mind I'm pre-hrt). Nobody seemed to bat an eyelid, although there were some Dbags who game me funny looks.

And today, just to get it all over with, I've changed my name and profile on Facebook (after blocking half of my family who don't approve).

Going to be waiting on any responses but Eek! '>.<" finally out to the world!

Has anyone else used today as a good excuse to do anything dramatic? =^.^= x

2. rainbowtheorist

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi !
    I've never used this day as an excuse because I'm far to my family and wanted to wait to see in person to do so but I think it's a good thing.

Sometimes it's good to have some kind of deadline to push us to do what we want to do but are scared to do. Waiting for the "right time" is tricky because is there really a good moment to announce such a drastic news to one's family, especially if they are not open-minded ? This moment might never to come and then you stay trapped in a everlasting wait.

Congrats on coming out !
    Have a nice day !

3. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, congratulations on all of your coming out, OP! It takes so much strength to do what you've done! (*hug*)

I'm not coming out as transmasculine for a while... Not because I'm scared, but because no one takes a 14 year with gender issues seriously :frowning2:

4. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats! (*hug*)

I haven't used this day for anything, no. But I unofficially am out to some people in the past week! ^.^

5. YinYang

^^ I hear ya, Em. My parents think my thoughts on gender is either just a phase or not important. Sigh. It doesn't help that I'm not even sure of anything yet.

On a different note, I did not come out to anyone today, but I thought about it. I really thought about telling someone else, but, in the end, I just couldn't do it. I feel so insecure because I'm not even sure of anything, so how am I supposed to come out when I don't even know what's going on? Oh, well, maybe next year.

6. TheRealTheaJane

Heyy thank you everyone! The responses I got were amazing: It's actually surprising how many people are willing to adapt, ask questions, and learn more rather than just accept it in ignorance! Faith in humanity is restored =^.^=

It's too true though; so many people believe things are "just a phase" when you're in your teens, it's sad! I can't say people will take you seriously in your 20s, but they certainly listen more!

YinYang, I like your logic! Hehe knowing yourself is definitely key before other people knowing you! There's always many more years to come before people have to be told, unless they guess :slight_smile: x

7. Saiph

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats!

I came out as Genderfluid too! Just about everyone was pretty accepting though so I was thankful it worked out!

8. crazydiamond

Congratulations! I'm proud of you.

9. YinYang

Thanks! I'm actually a little more open now, I will tell someone I'm a part of the LGBT community if they happen to ask, but I don't shout out to everyone. Still closeted about my gender, but I'm way more confused about that.

10. Asterac22

i used the day to come out over facebook so now everyone knows not just close family and friends! :grin: