1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My parents don't know.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by HelenElizabeth, Oct 12, 2015.

1. HelenElizabeth

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi

I've been in a relationship with a woman now for nearly 8 years and we live together. All my friends know and I have a sibling who knows but my parents and the rest of my family do not know, (or if they do, they're not saying they do)

When I was first getting together with my partner, my mother asked me at the time, and I didnt even know what was going on myself, so in a confused state, I denied it. As time has gone on, its just got worse and worse and now not only do I think they'll not be happy about my relationship, they wont be happy that I've not told them for so long.

My partner has put up with it for a long time now and I'm starting to lose her. My family occasions/get togethers and christmas are hard because she is not involved.

I dont know how to tell them, Im so scared. Friends tell me they probably know but if this is the case, why havent they said anything? And they still say things that make me think they dont. Id say it was pretty obvious, we live together, go on holidays together, take the same time off, do everything together. But then sometimes they say something that makes me think they dont know. :?

Thanks
    H

2. Really

Hey there,

Do you have a particular worry about telling them or more generally just nerves? I mean, do you expect a bad homophobic or religious or whatever reaction?

Does your partner know you'd like to tell them but are stalled at the moment? Does she have any suggestions on how to tell them?

I don't really have any advice but maybe if you break it down into manageable pieces, the last bit about telling them won't be so daunting.

What about your sibling? Did you specifically ask them not to say anything? You could ask them if your parents ever talk about it with them. Get some gauge as to how they would react.

Welcome to EC, btw.

3. HelenElizabeth

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Thanks for the reply.

I'm worried they won't like me, my dad has made homophobic comments in the past, usually about gay men on tv, taking the piss I guess. He was brought up this way though and not sure he would be homophobic towards me.
    I'm worried they won't talk to me and be angry I've not told them. My mum has health issues and I don't want to stress her out.

My partner knows how I feel but has become quite inpatient now. She's suggest telling them but it needs to come from me. I've asked my sibling if they've ever asked about me and my love life but they haven't!!! Hmm

Thank you