1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this normal?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Liz81, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Liz81

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It's been over 48 hours now since I came out to my parents and I was worried my parents would back away from me or treat me different but they haven't. They just treat me like I'm the same person because... well, I am!

Right after I came out, I suddenly didn't feel turned on by either women or men which was weird for but that only lasted a few hours. Maybe it was just anxiety or the relief of finally coming out. I'm relieved my parents know and I don't have to hide from them anymore and I can talk to them about more things now without them judging me.

For the last couple of weeks, I've been so stressed almost every night when (my mom's been out of town til last week) my mom was home. When she's not home, I'm stressed and anxious about coming out and wondering when she'll get home. Then when she gets home, I'm almost freaking out and trying to figure out how to get the nerve to do it or just really anxious to get it done. I knew one night soon when the time was right, I had to do it. Either do it or have a heart attack from stressing out about it for weeks, months or years! So it hasn't been easy in the last couple of weeks. Now she comes home from work in the last 48 hours and it feels good to finally feel relaxed again and not stressed anymore because the secret is now out. The heavy weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I had planned once I came out to just start looking for a date or more gay people to hang out with but I haven't done that yet. I guess it's because I'm still getting used to being out to my parents so in a way, I'm still processing it, maybe. I've been keeping busy but now I've been tired from the stress lol. So I'm just taking it all in and doing my things and relaxing one step at a time and getting used to being out of the closet now that my parents know. I'll find a date later lol. It's not like you can really force it. It just happens. If it happens, then great but if not, then it doesn't. I just don't want to stress anymore.

Anyone ever experience anything like this soon after being out to your parents?

2. waternation

waternation Guest

I'm coming out to my mum today, so I'll let you know. Congratulations on coming out^^ That's such a positive reponse from them!!

3. waternation

waternation Guest

Well... my mum's reaction wasn't as positive as yours. But I guess I came out and she wasn't overly upset... although she was crying and she didn't really get being 'bisexual' rather than 'gay'... but... it is done.... I'm not sure what to feel. I caught up with some friends after and have been watching some of my favourite youtuber's and studying to keep my mind off things. The feeling is kind of deflating... but maybe if my orientation was more accepted and recognised by her it would feel better. As it is, I just feel like I've switched a 'straight' label for another innacurate one which is 'gay'. Ahhhh, I don't know. I feel stressed and anxious too, but those feelings after coming out didn't really go away... :icon_sad:

#3 waternation, Oct 15, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2015