1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need so advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Acuba403, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Acuba403

So I'm almost out, My the people closest to me, a few of my friends know and my parents know (They don't acknowledge it though). They only thing left to do is to come out to my little sister, and to come out to everyone else (Facebook). That's here my problem lies..... How do I explain my being trans to my little sister... she's 13 and i don't know how much contact she has had with LGBT+ people if any. How should I explain that she doesn't have an older brother but a sister. With Facebook I guess I just need some encouragement to actually do it and how to word it.

Any advise is appreciated.

Acuba

2. Linus

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Okay. As for your sister, I have an idea for you. There are plenty of TV shows and celebrities with members of the Qcommunity playing roles. Or, sometimes straight people play gay/trans people. It doesn't matter. Oh! Also, there's a good movie that's coming out soon, called "The danish girl." Watch the trailer, it looks good. But in any case, you can help your sister understand through media. Watch some TV w/ her, and then ask what she thinks. Like, "So what do you think of Caitlyn Jenner?" or something like that. see how much she knows on the matter of trans people. Then educate her. Explain that it's a normal thing, and that lots of people transition. Then you come out.

As for Facebook... Well it depends on who your friends are... But... be careful; the internet is a harsh place. I would take it slow w/Facebook. Well, that's me. Whatever you're comfortable with/ready for.

3. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

What the above poster said is a very good idea, I was going to say pretty much the same thing.
    I think that at her age and with the types of tv shows and Caitlyn Jenner being in the news a lot, she's definitely been exposed to it before and probably knows a little bit, even if she doesn't fully understand it.
    So starting with tv shows and media could definitely be a good start and you could ask her what she thinks about it, or make comments about Caitlyn Jenner like "It's good she was finally able to be her true self" or something like that, so your sister understands more what it's like. Maybe try to get her to ask questions.

And when you tell her, you could relate it to Caitlyn Jenner so she understands better if that's all she knows about transgender people thusfar. And you could just explain to her what it's like and how you feel and explain to her what pronouns you'd like.

Good luck!