1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm afraid

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by littleraven, Oct 15, 2015.

1. littleraven

I don't know what my family and friends will think. I'm kind of scared.

I do have friends that are accepting, but they exclusively online. In college, I hope to make friends who are accepting.

I've already talked my dad about it before, but I told him that it helps me to not think about it. I also told this to a good friend of mine. At the time, I was really hoping that my same sex attraction would go away. It never did.

I'm afraid of people finding out and thinking I'm accepting sin, that I'm a monster/predator, or a sodomite. :frowning2:

2. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I'm sorry you're feeling that way. But don't let that get to you, because what's most important is that you are not those things and you know that to be true. No matter what anyone may think about you, that doesn't change who you are or make you any less.

I don't know what it's like where you live and what your friends/family are like but people can often be a lot more accepting than you think they may be, especially people who know you. Someone who knows you would know you are a good person. Having a different gender or sexuality than they thought you had before does not make you into a monster. If someone feels that way, then too bad for them for losing out on a great friendship or not being able to accept people for trivial things or crazy judgements they make in their minds.

Do you have any close friends you may confide in? Sometimes people can be more accepting than you think, but if you really aren't sure you can trust someone or don't know how accepting they are then you obviously don't have to tell them. Is your dad accepting? I know you don't like to talk about it, but maybe practicing being open about it with him could help you (if he's accepting), and also you're friend too.
    I hope this helps and I wish you all the best.

3. littleraven

I think my parents would get worried about me again. It was years ago when I thought ignoring my attractions would make them go away. My online friends who wouldn't approve would also be worried. I know they all care about me. I have other friends I don't mind talking about it with. My friends in real life would probably look at me negatively.

Thank you for the reminder that those things don't describe me.