1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

It's been a long time of hiding..

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by CaptainRex, Oct 16, 2015.

1. CaptainRex

Alright, so before I start this, just wanted to say I've known I wasn't straight since I was 11, but always assumed I was bisexual or pansexual.

I'm having a really hard time coming out as gay to my family. My mom is the only one I've hinted to that I might be bisexual, but she doesn't really know the truth. I'm pretty much 99.9% gay, I'm attracted to pretty much only guys with an exception of a few anime girls. (lol.)

Either way, I have no idea how to come out, for example, what I should say, when I should say it, and how soon. I've now come to terms with myself just this June, and I've realized that I need to eventually say something. I'm just so afraid of what might happen.

For a religious aspect, most my family is Catholic and I'm here without a religion. It may be tough, but any advice I can get I will take.

Thanks,
    Rex.

2. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats on accepting yourself! That's the first step and it's a big one.

How out do you want to be? Do you want to be out 100% to everyone, or just to a few select people?

Next, who do you trust the most and who do you think will have the best reaction? Friends? Parents? Siblings if you have them? Guidance counselor? The first few people you tell should be ones you know are likely to respond well and respect your privacy if you don't want them to tell anyone.

Hope this helps!

3. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^^^ you could ask those questions yourself. take it one step at a time. give yourself time to be right with it, rather then rush it all the way(and by right, i mean being comfortable with who you are). a couple of research into the catholic religion and connection to homosexuality won't hurt a bit. if you anticipate that they might bring up the bible verses and the whole leviticus ramblings, you definitely want to be prepared for that. i was also in the same situation in terms of religion, when i'm the only guy who does not believe in religion and everyone in my family does. I still am but it doesn't bother me as much anymore. it's alright to feel nervous or scared before coming out.

4. 50ishandout

Rex, congratulations on accepting yourself. Nothing like being comfortable in your own skin. I can only speak from personal experience, I Came Out first to a couple that I knew would be accepting. Gave me a chance to verbalized to someone that I was Gay and I knew I'd have support.

I then told my mother and a few others. As time went on I told more and more people as I felt comfortable with myself.

One day I liked some pictures on Facebook and I forgot that others see in their time lines that you like certain posts. We'll the pictures were quite Gay. Got a couple of call from people that knew I was Out and I started to panic. I put a post on Facebook Coming Out and the Love and Support has been overwhelming.

I'm now totally Out and I couldn't be happier. That being said you've got to be comfortable with you and your Coming Out. What works for you is what you should do.

As a final word one of the people that I had conversations with about Gays was a Catholic Priest who is a friend and was very open about the fact that there job is no to judge who you love, it's about what type of person you are.

Hope this helps. We are here for you.

#4 50ishandout, Oct 17, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2015
  5. CaptainRex

Thanks to both of you.

I indeed thought through it a lot, and I guess the term for me (though I'm not huge on labels) would be Bisexual, preferring males. Since I have like a female or two in my life.
    And it's great to hear both of your stories on this topic.

I do have to inform you however, that I am going through a very rough time in my town, so I did switch schools to a charter school in another town. My old school wasn't too friendly towards the LGBT community, and I was punched, kicked, and verbally abused in the past few months. I'm extremely happy with my decision, as I have now got a whole new community of people to talk to, who are, for the most part, really accepting of me. Made a lot of new friends here! :slight_smile:

6. BroHam

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    GREAT TO HAVE YOU! Welcome to EC!

#6 BroHam, Oct 26, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2015