1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MayaBee, Oct 18, 2015.

1. MayaBee

If you think about it, coming out in my situation shouldnt be hard: I know all my friends and family would accept it and in Switzerland, there is no threat when people know you are gay or bi or whatever.
    But why is there still a fear to come out, why is it still so overwhelming....?

2. Annael

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think it's because in all societies, being LGBT just isn't "normal", you feel? Like, sure no one may think it's wrong, but like there's still the definite sense of being different than anyone else.

3. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I think it's because you feel people around you expect you to be a certain way and fit a certain mold. So you feel like telling them would completely contradict that expectation. I guess in a sense it's like knowing who you are inside, but everyone else sees a different you on the outside. It's hard, but you just have to break through and show people the real you.
    I think that's why it's hardest with family members and close friends because they know us the best. Also, I think being gay/bi could make you feel like your friends would no longer understand you on the same level because you're different. But really, you're the same person you were all along. You just have to break through that hard part of showing people that part of yourself and then it's just another thing they know about you and in time it'll just be normal because you're still you.