1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Apprehensive

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Shadow29, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Shadow29

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I've been hurting really bad for way to long. I have been afraid that if anyone knew that I was gay I would be ostracized. I live in the South where being openly gay is looked down on. I just recently told two of my friends and their acceptance is a big relief. However I hate hiding this secret from my mom but I know she will be angry with me and think that I have chosen this life. My mom is very religious. I feel like there is no one in my family that I can tell. My cousin is gay and came out years ago. He met against such disapproval that he moved 300 miles away from our family. When his dad died he sang Amazing grace at the funeral, my mom got pissed off. She was mad because he was singing a Christian song and according to her he couldn't possibly be a Christian simply because he is gay. so that's what I'm up against. I HATE HIDING WHO I REALLY AM, but I don't want to be rejected.
    There I said it!!!
    :tears:

2. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

Do you still live at home? If so, it may be safest for you emotionally and possibly physically to not come out until you're out on your own. It's up to you and only you know what you're really ready for and what's right for you, but keep your own safety and well-being in mind looking ahead.
    Everyone can change, but your mother's clearly very stubborn in her views. I don't know how well your mother would take to this, but perhaps after you come out to her (if you choose to), you could ask her if she'd watch this video. It's about homosexuality in the Bible. It's a gay man addressing a bunch of Christians explaining all the historical context of the Bible and how its been translated and how it's not really condemning homosexuality. Here it is if you want to take a look:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezQjNJUSraY

I don't know how your mother is and if that would help, but it's something. Just know that even if she reacts poorly, she is your mother so she wants you to be happy. Maybe she doesn't understand or agree with the things that make you happy due to her own prejudices and understandings, but deep down it's what she wants. And her reacting poorly by no means makes you less of a human being. Even though she's your mother and her opinion probably matters a lot to you, you have to live your life and be yourself as well. It's very brave of you to have accepted yourself as being gay even in that environment.

Just remember to be safe first and foremost.
    Best wishes<3

3. Gay1234

I'm so sorry to hear about that. I am lucky that my parents are accepting. I can't even comprehend what pain your going through. I am so sorry to hear that your parents are homophobic. I simply can't give much advice as I have no experience with negative experiences. I'm sure a more helpful person will reply. I'm just posting to give my sympathy

I would really recommend Bubbles post. She is a really helpful and wise person in my views.

#3 Gay1234, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  4. Shadow29

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks Bubbles. I appreciate the link, and the kind words.