1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How does this coming out thing work?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Another Gay Guy, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Another Gay Guy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So I don't really know how to come out without it being overly awkward. I have very accepting parents/family etc I mean like really, really accepting parents. But every time they have asked or sometimes it gets brought up I get very nervous and anxious. Then I end up just shrugging and avoiding actually answering. So what do I do?

Thanks for any help.

2. YinYang

You could write out your feelings in a letter and give it to them if you want. It lets you come out using the exact words you want to say and it makes it harder for you to back out.

3. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    First of all, that's so nice that you have accepting parents. Not a lot of people have that.

I feel like it could be an issue of accepting your identity as gay. Maybe you don't want things to change, or maybe you're a little bit ashamed? I know I was at first. Don't come out if you're not ready to - accept yourself 100% before you're willing to allow others to accept who you are.

4. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The fact that they are asking would suggest that they have worked it out already anyway and your awkward/nervous reaction has probably helped to confirm it to them. If you are struggling to say the words, it might be an idea to write it down. It needn't be impersonal -- if you really sit down and put your mind to it, you can say so much in a letter, but you probably don't need to do that if your parents are so accepting.

5. littleraven

Welcome to EC. :slight_smile:

I agree with writing it down. That may be really helpful. I hope things turn out well.

#5 littleraven, Oct 19, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  6. GreenPanRose270

At least you're one of those people with accepting parents XD
    If you truly are comfortable with yourself and coming out, then there are two ways.
    1. Write a letter, or wait for a good time to come out to them (when they're calmed down and not agitated about something, etc.)
    2. You can gradually bring up LGBT topics in the house, show little bits of pride here and there, and that way when you do tell them they'll already pretty much know.

Good luck!

7. DietCoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I came out to everyone important to me through text messages because I felt just like you. It can be hard because sometimes it feels as though they'll see you as a different person but I can tell you from experience that even if it's incredibly uncomfortable for a few hours it is definitely better than the ongoing awkwardness of not letting people know the truth. Leaving it in the air isn't going to fix anything

8. SemiCharmedLife

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If they do keep bringing it up or asking and you feel confident they'll respond well if you tell them, maybe just wait until the next time that happens. Other than a few people where I did the whole "hey I have something to tell y'all" thing, I pretty much just waited until LGBT issues/dating/hot celebrities/whatever came up in conversation and used that as my opportunity

9. Majush93

Out Status:
    Some people
    hi :slight_smile: first thing, I think it´is completely okay to feel nervous before coming out. I remember when I first came out to my best friend xD even when I knew that she will be 100% supportive I felt really nervous and I really didn´t know how to start conversation about it...but I know that I needed to do it because I was unhappy that I was keeping such secret about me...so I overcome my fear and told her. It was amazing afterwards, I felt relieved and really happy ♥ :slight_smile:

My advice to you is that you could maybe tell one person first :wink: you don´t have to come out to all of them at once :slight_smile: choose someone you trust :wink: when you do it, you can tell another person and so on :wink: I think it can become easier the more you will be telling people :wink:

good luck :wink:) and have a beautifl day :slight_smile:)