1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What should I say after I come out?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by akarn7, Oct 20, 2015.

1. akarn7

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Alright, so I finally decided I wanted to come out to my sisters!

Original story here - http://emptyclosets.com/forum/coming-out-advice/194580-what-do-i-do-if-i-think-my-sisters-know-im-gay.html

My sisters tell each other everything, so I decided I'd just tell the older one and let her gossip to the other LOL.

So what do you guys think of leaving a letter? I physically can't bring myself to say the words.

But my question is I know she's going to come into my room and talk to me, so what do I say then? Like, how do I go about that?

2. DietCoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Honesty. If you're going to come out it should be like ripping off a band-aid. Just answer whatever questions she might have and share anything else with her that you'd want her to know. There's no rule book for coming out. It's all about just being open and honest about that part of yourself.

As for how to come out, a letter is a fine way to do it, as I said there is no rule book. I came out almost entirely through texts, the result is going to be the same either way.

3. ThatRangerGirl

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Well, I am Trans, so my experience will be a little different than yours was, then again all coming out experiences are different.
    "I physically can't bring myself to say the words"
    Hun, its fine if you do it with a letter, but if you can't bring yourself to say the words, you probably are not ready to face the consequences. I know you want to come out, but wanting to, and being ready to are entirely different things.

Personally though, I would tell both of them myself, so as not to let gossip begin to spread. Once they know, you have no idea where being out will lead you . . .
    At the best, it will lead to a beautiful marriage
    At the worst, it will lead to a disownment
    Most likely it will be somewhere in the middle, as it has been for me.
    I wish you luck, in your quest to be true to yourself . . .

4. PennyMonkey96

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Couldn't have said it better ^

5. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Try to think about some of the questions your sister might ask and prepare your answers in advance. By that, I don't mean script and rehearse them, but just have a general idea of your responses in mind. If you can answer her in a reasonable way it will demonstrate that you have properly considered things and it's not just a "phase" that you will grow out of.

6. Asterac22

Gotta agree with what everyone is saying just prepare to answer any questions.