1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does coming out get any easier?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Liz81, Oct 22, 2015.

1. Liz81

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I thought it would after I told my dad. He was the 2nd person I told. First I told my mom, which was incredibly hard but I was glad to get it done and that she was accepting, knowing that I have her support. Then I told my dad and he was also supportive so after telling him, I figured coming out would get easier because it was easier telling him after telling my mom because I knew I had her support. Now that I have the support of both parents, I thought telling my sister would be no big deal. So I finally told her next. Now I don't know what to feel or what I'm feeling right now. I guess it's because of her reaction. I'm not quite sure of it but she did say, "Ok" and then "thank you for telling me." It was like, "ok, whatever." Before I told her, she just kept saying, "what?" when I hesitated so I felt a bit pressure telling her. My parents were more patient when I told them. I guess I feel this way because I just told her and it takes time to sink in. When I told my parents, it was a bit weird but that eventually went away. I thought after I told my parents already, it wouldn't feel so weird anymore but it still kinda does but not sure if it's because she seemed a bit impatient with me trying to telling her or because of her reaction or what. Isn't coming out to more people supposed to get easier and not feel so weird anymore as you keep doing it?

I suppose I feel this way a bit because I'm 34 years old and waited this long to tell my family. I really wish I had told them long, long time ago. Maybe not 20 or 15 years ago but maybe a year or two ago. Even though gay people have been getting more accepted nowadays, it's still hard to come out and I didn't think it should be by now.

Sorry if this doesn't make any sense lol. I'm still processing her reaction, I guess. It happened about an hour ago, I think.

#1 Liz81, Oct 22, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  2. TheRainbowPsych

Out Status:
    Some people
    You are very lucky to have a supportive family on your side. Seeing people getting accepted coming out makes me teary eyed sometimes

3. Really

I don't think your sister's reaction was bad. I think it might be pretty normal for people who are accepting, don't want to make a big deal out of it but also have no frame of reference for how much energy you've had to put into your coming out to them.

Many years ago, a co-worker came out to me and I'm pretty sure my only response was, "ok." I had no problem with it (actually, his fake over-interest in waitresses was the real annoyance) but I had no idea what was involved in his deciding to tell me so I responded with what came naturally. I suspect my response was a bit of a letdown because I recall him asking what my parents would think if they say two guys holding hands. Not sure what their opinion mattered but I told him they wouldn't care. I don't remember much else. As you can see, it was pretty much a non-event from my side of things.

I don't recall it ever coming up again and we continued as before; good coworkers and lunch mates, joking around as usual.

I realize sisters have a different dynamic and she may have more to say about it with you than I did with him but it honestly sounds like she was fine but just didn't have an equally emotional response to your emotion filled declaration. We want people to be happy when we're happy, excited when we're excited and so on. But I honestly think having someone come out to you, for most people, is just so foreign that even accepting responses with the appropriate enthusiasm (or whatever we're hoping for) just don't happen naturally.

I'm guessing, as time goes on, she'll assimilate. :slight_smile:

Oops. Just noticed I didn't answer your first question. I'm sure it does get easier. Or you get more practiced at it so once you've had the same two or three reactions you get more used to them and it takes you less time to bounce back from the emotions of the experience.

You're ahead of me with all this so I award you three kudos for your achievements. Well done. ⭐️⭐️

4. Ozoceanic

Ozoceanic Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    It does get easier. It's amazing how much easier it gets with each person; sometimes I have felt so elated afterwards that I've wanted to shout it from the top of the tallest building around. :slight_smile: Congratulations on coming out, btw. This is a huge step, and it took a lot of courage and strength. You should be very proud of yourself! It's alright that now is the time that you did it and not before. Better late than never. Not everything will be peaches and cream from now on, but you have done something most people don't really do at all; assert who they are to a world that wasn't made for them in mind, make themselves known to a largely apathetic universe (I'm getting all existential on you, I'll stop. :wink: ) Best of luck!