1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out to My More Conservative Family?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by ChronicGirl, Oct 23, 2015.

1. ChronicGirl

So I have come out to my immediate family, a few cousins and my friends. I am worried because I'm considering trying to enter a relationship and there is no way it would stay hidden from my family. (My mom would be squealing) I don't know how to come out to my paternal grandmother because she is pretty discriminatory and I'm terrified that my dad will side with her (even though he currently supports me). This happened recently when he sided against my mom, sister and me with her and still won't admit that what she said was discriminatory towards people with allergies, anxieties and disabilities. Some of my other family lives in a town where they look down upon gay members of the community and freak out if I guy wears make up. This is all on my paternal side of the family so I'm terrified of causing a rift between my parents.
    Any advice? I know this is a lot.
    Thanks for reading
    - Chronic
    :smilewave

2. Zen fix

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Good luck to you, you are really brave. I'm sure there are different ways that you could approach this. If you can come out to someone who is a good bet to support you, you should do that and have that ally.

Your dad needs to nut up and stand up to his mother. I can't imagine taking my mother's side against one of my kids. I think you should definitely get him alone, take him for coffee or something, and tell him. You could also tell him that you know he has a lot of respect for his mother but you anticipate that she will take an opposing position when she finds out and you will need his support. Ask him if you can count on his support as you go through this. Put him on the spot a little so that you will have a good understanding of where you are going to stand with him.

When you tell your grandmother keep it short and simple. Don't apologize for being the awesome person you are, and make good eye contact. If she, or others, have serious questions it is fine to answer but I wouldn't try to justify or explain. When people have a negative reaction to this they aren't seeking understanding but, rather, ways to weaken or poke holes in your resolve.

Good luck.